Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i am usually waiting at red lights i keep the clutch partially pressed in so that it engages just a little bit (enough for the car to roll very slightly) while holding the brake down. This allows me to take off much quicker as all i have to do is ease off the clutch just a bit.

Is this bad for the clutch? If so how bad, as i have made quite a habit of it , is it also possible to damage any clutch/gearbox component within 4 months from this kind of usage? (That may explain some noises i have been getting from the engine bay as i have mentioned in a previous thread)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your clutch will last longer if you don't "feather" the clutch while sitting still. The worst though is revving the engine up and dropping the clutch for that performance effect. Clutch replacement is expensive!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do this on almost every complete stop i come by, not when dragging others if that's what ur trying to imply..

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
When you do this, regardless of driving situation you will wear your clutch out very quickly. With the clutch engaged halfway you are only exerting half the pressure on the pressure plate which release the clutch disc from the flywheel. This allows some of the rotational power from the engine to continue rotating the clutch disc and since the pressure plate is only at half its throw it allows the clutch disc to wear against the flywheel creating excess heat, excess wear on the clutch disc material, and eventual clutch fading and failure. It is not a good idea and unless you want a 1000 dollar clutch job soon I would quit being lazy and use it like its supposed to be used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts