Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had a Weapon R Secret Weapon Short ram air intake. I have been looking into getting one and want to know how they work. It seems like a good design (tube inside main tube creates vaccum...i think) and i love the sound. Any idea of how they work??

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Does Weapon R make intakes for Focus? I guess they would work like SRI or CAI. I dont know. Someone will chime it in

·
Registered
476 Posts
i dont think that will out flow the svt intake with a k/n. that sounds really cool and fancy but doubt that it works that much better than a regular sri

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It's all pipe so your just paying more for the brand name
Air pod are made out the same stuff so yeah

·
Registered
975 Posts
ebay intake with k&n or spectre filter and save $200

·
Registered
383 Posts
i just dont like the thought of a foam filter seems more constrictive than a paper filter. just my .02

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i just dont like the thought of a foam filter seems more constrictive than a paper filter. just my .02
Foam or pod filter suck in more air then a standard paper filter.

·
Registered
476 Posts
so pritty much dont waste the money. =)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The cougar zetec guys have had experience with the Weapon R & we basically avoid it. The filter has been known to disenergrate(sp?) into the intake. Plus the elbow at the throttlebody is kinda restrictive & it rubs the hood in our application.

Honestly go either with the stock SVT setup w/k&n filter or buy an Ebay intake & get a k&n cone filter.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The cougar zetec guys have had experience with the Weapon R & we basically avoid it. The filter has been known to disenergrate(sp?) into the intake. Plus the elbow at the throttlebody is kinda restrictive & it rubs the hood in our application.

Honestly go either with the stock SVT setup w/k&n filter or buy an Ebay intake & get a k&n cone filter.
The SVT air box is the same as the stock Zetec so your wasting your time and money. there's no gain to be had like sorry and this is why people upgrade to CAI in the 1st place.

The SVT air box may feel it picks up some what but I haven't seen any dyno proof of this claim at all.
It would be really a close call in hp on the dyno.

All Aftermarket air intake also give you a sporty note
It's just steel or aluminum piping...LOL

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the svt air box and zetec airbox are different.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
the svt air box and zetec airbox are different.
I don't know if the SVT air box is the same as the st170 but, the inside of the st170 and stock Zetec are the same setup.
I've seen this with my own eyes I kid you not.
I want to see dyno proof please and not just it pick up better.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
im pretty sure someones got proof that the svt airbox flows the best out of all of them. i know i saw that somewhere, just dont remember

i dont think a dyno would be the best system to measure which flows better.

i dont know if its possible but maybe someone could put some intakes on a flow bench. that would be more accurate, ya know?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
and let the pissing contest begin...

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
i'll go gather all the required info and then make a useful post to this thread since everybody else just wants to be lazy about it

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Every time I ask to see proof no 1 can back it up.
This is what need to happen
stock standard zetec Focus with no tune and you give it 3 dyno pulls then you put on the SVT airbox and you give that 3 dyno pull and the numbers will tell the story.

Air pod has more area for air to be suck in and the standard air box only has a small coke can hole for air to get through.
I've look inside a SVT/St170 air box and I'm like whats the big deal, theres like no difference between the 2 air boxs.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
alright using the very wonderful search key I came up with this thread for you guys
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171885
there are obvious differances in the snorkle, bottom of box, and the little "s" tube vs the resonator box.
you can use either lid top it wont matter.
with a air intake on a zetec it really wont matter which one you have since the intake is only good for 1 or 2 hp.
its pretty much going to come down to your personal decision based on facts like these and probably a few others. everything below is from my own personal experiance I have had all 3 types of intake and now I only use the svt box.

short ram intake:
gives cold air intake sound but filter is up out of the way
looks better (personal opinion)
draws much more hot air than any other style intake

cold air intake:
draws cold air
looks better
gives a deeper sound than stock intake
could potentially hydrolock your motor if you live in wet areas

svt intake box snorkle and k&n filter
bigger snorkle draws more air than stocker
doesnt have the same annoying drone on the highway (personal opinion)
looks stock (wont bump you to a higher racing class or get you hassled at a ford dealership)
still improves performance
and there is a dyno chart floating around here somewhere showing that the svt box makes a bit more mid torque and hp than a CAI while a CAI makes a bit more power up top
like i said its 1-2 hp either way so it just comes down to what you want

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
To me it wasn't clear cut at all, it was neck to neck.
Like no wonder volant didn't beat the SVT air box because the air pod is hidden away in that pretty black box.

For a air pod to work 100% air must hit all side of the air pod 360*.
Half the pod is hidden away and a hole at the top of the box and the 2 small snorkle hole, so the snorkle is doing most of the work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts