Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my car back a few days ago from getting the slave cylinder done. My clutch was done 10k miles ago and I'm proficient at driving a stick. Today on my way to work, I had to make a quick launch from a dead stop in order to get out of the way of a speeding car, (holiday drivers). When I let off the clutch (remember, it was a hard launch so I was giving it quite a bit of throttle). The car quickly got out of its way but my clutch was slipping. My foot was all the way off the clutch and all the way on the throttle. (I know, I don't usually beat on the car but it was an emergency.). The revs were quite high and my wheels weren't spinning. But I was moving. This was only for a few seconds until I cleared the potential accident. Afterward I smelled clutch.

What's up with this? My clutch only has 10k miles!!! If I did this with my old corolla or my friends protégé. Those clutches grab so hard and would spin the tires and not the clutch. It hurt so bad lol. I felt so bad for the car. Melt poor, poor, focus...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
So you replaced the clutch disc, but didn't put in a new pressure plate at that time?

Not too long later, you had the slave replaced. When a hydraulic TO bearing leaks, it often contaminates the clutch friction material. That is in addition to the clutch getting glazed from dragging due to not fully/cleanly releasing.

Whenever I do a clutch or TO job, I do them both at the same time. Disc, pressure plate, perhaps flywheel, and TO.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an entire clutch kit done. It was when I bought the car from the dealer. They did it. The only reason I had to get the slave done was because the bleeder valve broke off lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope not. The dealer did it. I wouldn't be surprised. I'll just save up money and wait for it to go. I've sunk so much money in this car. I honestly wish I never got it. I'm almost better off with the 94 geo/corolla that I had with 230k miles.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
What led up to the bleeder screw breaking off?

If the whole clutch was redone 10k miles ago, why was anybody messing with the TO after that? What was the symptom (s) that made you or a tech bleed the TO?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pedal was grabbing all over the place. I think it was me just being a car hypochondriac so I thought id bleed it. It went well until I went to tighten the bleeder valve for the last time. It just snapped right off. So I quick steeled it in, bleed it from the line. I also replaced the clutch line and master cylinder (both done myself so I know the work was done correctly).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I told my tech to check the clutch while he had the trans out. He didn't say anything when I went to pick up the car. But after I got it, the steering wheel is off center. So I don't think he did an alignment after taking the trans out. I'll call tomorrow and see what he says. I'll prolly end up bringing it back to him. Making him take car of the alignment.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The inconsistent pedal / clutch grab would be a symptom of the master going bad.

What could have happened with the bad master, is the clutch may have been dragging slightly when it should have been fully released, like at stoplights. That will kill one quick.

Sounds like you'll be doing the clutch again soon.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
Yes indeedy to that..................

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The inconsistent pedal / clutch grab would be a symptom of the master going bad.

What could have happened with the bad master, is the clutch may have been dragging slightly when it should have been fully released, like at stoplights. That will kill one quick.

Sounds like you'll be doing the clutch again soon.

Ugh. There wasn't any clutch dragging that I noticed. My old s10 used to do that. Unfortunately, i forgot that today is Sunday and the shop is closed. I'll call back tomorrow and ill update you guys on the situation.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went to take it out and test the clutch. I can take off in second. If I pull the e-brake and put it in 5th gear, give it gas, and release the clutch slowly but all the way. It just stalls... Hard... The clutch does NOT slip at all. Even at highway speeds in 5th gear. I've done everything I can to get it to slip. I even replicated the launch I did multiple times last night and I just spun the tires. The car did the same thing months ago and u was wondering what was going on but I forgot about it.

I'm generally very good with my clutch and treat it well.

The last time that this happened I had left my e-brake on at a gas station and I took off with some force because I had an "argument" with someone there... Anyway... My clutch seems to grab ok, but i don't have to give it Mitch to get going. And i have a long friction zone.

I thought id give guys more info to go on.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on this. When I called the mechanic who did my slave he tried to charge me $80 to re align the steering wheel. I'll just adjust the tie rod ends until its back. Its not much. Clutch hasn't slipped since. Though I did smell clutch for a few days afterward. I've tried to get it to slip but it wont. I can take off in third gear even...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts