Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was peaking under my car after removing the resonator and wanted to go a bit louder and nicer sound. (Performance later, when I replace the pipe size)

Long story short - Long bullet-shaped "muffler" that is near the engine and another "muffler" that is at a bend in the exhaust right before the driver rear wheel well?

Which one do I cut off and "bolt in (for now)" with a new thrush, magnaflow, or dynomax muffler?

Honestly I don't know which muffer to run either - the bullet shaped or the box shaped?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
The one up by the motor is the 2nd cat. And the one that is before the driver side wheel is the muffler. And that ugly lunch box looking thing in the back is a resonator. If you are looking for a sporty sound, take off the lunch box at the end. And replace it with some straight pipe and maybe a fancy tip. That is where I would start at. There are some good post about removing the lunch box, and all love the sound.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did that lunchbox delete already.

I bought a bullet muffler glass pack by thrush where can I put it or am I better off with the welded?

People swear by thrush welded for some reason, I want the muffler gone with straight pope or a new muffler for better sound

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2010 ses 5spd so my car has the "ford racing exhaust" which i think just doesn't have the lunchbox. But I just took my car to the exhaust shop to have them put a glass pack where the muffler is (behind the drivers door) but they said it wouldn't fit because the glass pack was too long for the spot. So instead they just straight piped where the muffler was. At first I was skeptical if it would sound any good but it actually sounds great now! Its not too loud and is a good deep sound. I would recommend that because it was really cheap and probably pretty easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect. I've been asking this for a while now and you did what I was going to do. I was going to originally cut farther away from the stock muffler and add flex pipe to fit the glass pack or the thrush welded but if it doesn't matter I have flex pipe her I can hack off the muffler :)

What's the biggest different and is there any lags at low rpm

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've only had it for just over a day now but I haven't noticed any down sides. It's a good amount of loud, maybe too loud for some peoples taste but I like it a lot. It has a lot of low end deep noise. There is some droning but it's not the worst. I haven't noticed any significant lags or anything. I'm very happy with. Are you an automatic or a stick? Because that might make a bit of a difference.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There's plenty of room for pretty much anything you'd ever want under our cars. If your removing both the muffler and the lunchbox I could recommend a Magnaflow round body muffler. The thrush welded is a quieter muffler because it turns exhaust gasses in different directions compared to a round body that just catches some of the gasses.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yes there is. The stock muffler is the size in length of a glass pack, while being 7-8" wide, much wider then a glass pack. I literally built my new exhaust yesterday, from the header flange back, don't hit me with no shenanigans.

A glasspack will not make your car much quieter if any. You might see a 4db decrease, if that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh ok well that's just what the exhaust shop told me so that's what I'm going off of. I don't know if since mine is the SES 5 spd if the exhaust setup is different or not. I don't doubt what you're saying it's just what I was told. Either way I'm happy with the way mine sounds.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,474 Posts
Yes there is. The stock muffler is the size in length of a glass pack, while being 7-8" wide, much wider then a glass pack. I literally built my new exhaust yesterday, from the header flange back, don't hit me with no shenanigans.

A glasspack will not make your car much quieter if any. You might see a 4db decrease, if that.
This^^^^^^^ There's plenty of room as Willy mentioned,,,,

·
w/ my magic bag
29,474 Posts
2 mufflers (in line) will fit behind the flex & then a resonator next to the fuel tank. As me how? Or better yet checkout my profile albums for pix.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts