Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the deal...2006 focus st, 6k on the clock. Today the Ford tech overfilled my crankcase by 3 Quarts!!! No I'm not kidding. It got driven about 20 miles like that. It blew out a shitload of smoke and ran horrible. Got the oil drained out and now it seems fine, but I am very concerned about the longevity of this motor. The amsoil 0w-30 i put in had the consistency of water when it was drained out of it(remember, it was about a half hour old) plus i was very alarmed at the smoke that was billowing out of the car. Is that because the oil was being forced past the rings? The tech says it will be ok but I am not so sure.
I had planned on turbocharging this car but now I am unsure about doing this due to possible damage done. Any opinions would be appreciated and links to engineering articles about this would be a godsend as I'm sure I'll be going round and round with my dealer. Thank you

·
Registered
534 Posts
0W-anything oil is going to seem thin at most temperatures. I don't think that that's representative of any problem. The engine was so over filled that it probably injested oil through the PCV system to cause the smoke and rough running. Overfilling can cause the oil to foam and reduce the lubrication of the bearings but three quarts is so much that there was still probably plenty of oil in the bottom of the oil pan by the pickup. I would check the spark plugs and replace them if they look carboned or fouled, then take it out on the freeway for twenty minutes or so to clean out the engine. If the bearings are still quiet, I wouldn't worry about it any more. I would check the dipstick before driving it after oil changes however since I suspect it takes 5 1/2 qts and some places would just dump in 6 qts.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
you better go get an extended warranty if you don't have one and make sure you get an invoice saying the tech overfilled it just in case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
any damages shouldn't be paid or worked on by you. Leave it in the hands of who caused the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You had the car serviced at Ford with 6K on it, and you specified a non-spec oil. You're looking for warranty problems right there. I'm surprised they didn't give you any flak when you asked for that weight oil. Sounds like something isn't right here.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
At the absolute least get that invoice saying it was overfilled. What the heck was the tech thinking putting 7 quarts in a Focus???
I'd be worried about the seals being damaged too, that extended warranty is probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PDQEagle said:
You had the car serviced at Ford with 6K on it, and you specified a non-spec oil. You're looking for warranty problems right there. I'm surprised they didn't give you any flak when you asked for that weight oil. Sounds like something isn't right here.
Last time I checked, they can't tell me what oil to use unless they're willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You should be fine, but I would still have the dealer document it if you can. BTW, off topic, why run a 0 weight, bad idea.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Last time I checked, they can't tell me what oil to use unless they're willing to pay for it."

Check again, the oil must meet their specifications. This is obviously the case as, if things were as you say, you could put discarded frying oil or gear lube in the engine. What they cannot do is insist you buy their oil from them. They can insist, with the penalty being denial of warranty coverage, that you use the appropriate oil.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^

The warranty issue is moot, if they're going to try and deny coverage they'll do it regardless of what weight oil you use. If its not the oil, they'll say your aftermarket brake pads, fuel filter or underinflated tire caused whatever to fail.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"they'll do it regardless "

I'm not sure what kind of negative experiences you have had, but there are some dealers that actually are rather honest, and only deny warranty when there is a reason. Depending upon the problem, using 0 weight oil when 5w is specified is a reason and certainly might make the difference in some cases.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
mobil 1 might but this guy is using amsoil 0w30. different brand differnt weight. don't know if that's relevant, but i imagine that they would even deny the mobil 1. who did the tests to see if they meet ford and honda's specs? ford? honda? i doubt it. just my .02

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shadowrunner said:
mobil 1 might but this guy is using amsoil 0w30. different brand differnt weight. don't know if that's relevant, but i imagine that they would even deny the mobil 1. who did the tests to see if they meet ford and honda's specs? ford? honda? i doubt it. just my .02
Amsoil exceeds all of fords requirements. So explain to me now what they're standing would be for denying my warranty. And what part of the Magnusson Moss act is so hard to understand? The fact of the matter is that they have to prove that my oil caused any parts to fail and an oil analysis will show this one way or another. And as far as who did the tests? That would be the American Petroleum Institute (API)

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/d.cgi/1183050/articles/ford5w20.htm

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You didn't want to do that...now all of the anti-synthetic oil people will come in here and imply that by running synthetic oil and not changing it on the same interval that Ford dictates that you're somehow damaging the engine on their car, and after hijacking the thread and flaming you for not following the manual it'll get closed or deleted (if you can't tell, I've been down this path before.)

And as stated, if they're going to deny warranty coverage its not going to matter what oil you use, they'll find a reason to deny coverage. I was called once by the dealer when my alternator was giving me trouble, they wanted to know what kind of headlights I had installed (Ford factory headlights...mach HIDs) and were trying to blame the headlights on a worn wiring harness. There is no profit for the dealer or for Ford to honor their warranty, so its in their best interest to deny coverage whenever and however possible.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"so its in their best interest to deny coverage whenever and however possible."

I am sorry you have apparently had such a bad experience, but the half dozen time I have needed warranty service from Ford dealers over the past 15 years, I have never had them attempt to deny coverage. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but I think blanket statements like the one you made do a real disservice to the good dealers out there.

And there is a profit for the dealer in doing warranty work, as Ford reimburses them. It may not be as large a profit as for customer paid work; however, it is profitable for the dealer, as long as the random audits by Ford do not show the dealer is not following the warranty rules, in which case payment by Ford might be denied, e.g., replacing a part which subsequently is shown to not be defective.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
How convenient...you cut out the beginning of that statement; lets take a look at the quote in its entirety:

There is no profit for the dealer or for Ford to honor their warranty, so its in their best interest to deny coverage whenever and however possible.
If Ford is reimbursing the dealers for warranty work, how do they turn a profit? I'll admit that for the most part the dealers are honest when it comes to honoring warranties, true enough, but the point I'm trying to make is if they're going to go as far as to say that the weight of your motor oil caused the engine to fail and therefore deny warranty service, there really isn't much that they won't deny coverage for.

Come on, is it so hard to believe that they want to deny warranty service whenever possible? They operate on the same basic premise of an insurance company; if you pay out to the policyholders (or in this case, pay for repairs to those with warranty-covered vehicles) you don't make money. This would apply to Ford especially, considering they're facing bankruptcy or worse unless they make a major turn-around. If they're buget-cutting to save every last penny, don't you think that the dealers are being encouraged to nitpick and find reasons to deny coverage on warranties?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"If Ford is reimbursing the dealers for warranty work, how do they turn a profit? "

Ford does not, the dealers do. You said ther was "no profit in it for THE DEALER or Ford," so I merely corrected the incorrect part of information regarding the dealer.

"Come on, is it so hard to believe that they want to deny warranty service whenever possible? "

All I can say is that in all the times I required Ford warranty service, they have never tried to deny warranty coverage. So yes, it is hard for me to believe it, since the facts of my personal experience are exactly the opposite, and I tend to trust my personal experience vs. what others say about how things are.

The difference is that I acknowledge you may have had a different personal experience with dealers than I have, and that there is variability in how warranty claims are handled by different dealers. You, OTOH, seem to think that your personal experience must apply to the World, and that everyone else will obviously be treated by their dealers exactly the same way that you have.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The warranty is for customer service. There never really is any profit to be made in customer service itself. The money comes in the future when the customer is looking for a new car and remembers how well they were taken care of before and comes back. The warranty reflects the faith the Ford has that they make a product of such a standard that you shouldn't have any problems with the car during the specified warranty period. It is not in Ford's or the dealer's best interests, regardless of their financial difficulties (Which makes customer service more important acutally), to systematically deny warranty coverage. I work in customer service field and there is a sign the we see everytime we enter the office that reinforces a very important point, "The number one rule of business, if we don't take care of the customer, someone else will."

I'm sure Ford dealers have honored warranties that they shouldn't have plenty of times too. How many times have we seen or heard advice given after someone causes damages to their car due to an aftermarket part that if the car is still under warrenty to take the part off, put the stock part back on and take it in? I'm sure some techs have seen claims that they were pretty damn sure couldn't be caused by a stock part, but honored the warranty anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts