Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I had my throttle body put in iv noticed a ver distinct oder comin from my focus that wasnt there before. It only shows up after I drive it hard. I couldnt place the smell at first but now I definently can tell that it smells like wax. I dont know how many of you ski or board but it smell exackt like the waxjob I get at the shop right before I hit the slopes.

WTF is this???

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Your car isn't new is it ?
If it is, maybe it's that new engine smell that will burn off after a 1K miles...[scratch]
Otherwise, I have no idea what would cause a wax smell to come from your engine.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
[idea]
Some things U might want to check.

1.) When U installed TB, did you use a gasket or use silicon/make a gasket ?

2.) If you open the hood, can you tell where the smell is coming from ?
Left side, right side, near air box, near exhaust, near battery, from engine itself. etc.

3.) See any smoke ?

4.) See any cables or wiring harnest touching the engine or anything hot ?

5.) Check your battery connections. Make sure they are snug. Is anything close enough to them that may short out and burn ?

6.) Is the smell inside the car in the dash ?

Hope this helps...[confused]
[scratch]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Infra3sv said:
Maybe its the old engine smell. Sorry
[hihi]

He said it started after he changed his TB and I'm wondering if he did/move something and when it gets hot, it burns...?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a shop put it in the same time they did my Cat back and CAI. woulnt the internals smell like burning rubber or plastic? this def smells like ski wax.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ski wax??? its probably just a wire getting melted

·
Registered
793 Posts
check all your plug wires and your o2 sensor wire batt cables and everything u can think of

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its OK I took it to the shop and figured it out. its just the smell from the new muffler in the catback.

·
Registered
793 Posts
oh i dont see why that smelled lik ski wax but its cool that its all that was wrong

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
they probly used gaskets on the new exhaust, plus the new exhaust was probly burning off the oils on the parts

·
Registered
292 Posts
is it a stick or a automatic?

·
Registered
292 Posts
u might be burning your clutch up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts