Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 2011 Focus to the dealership service center yesterday for a vibration/shudder that I've noticed for...several thousand miles. Long boring story, turned out to be a broken engine mount bracket. They replaced the part, vibration/shudder is gone. According to the service invoice, they replaced this bracket and checked the tires/fluid levels. No other maintenance.

When I got in the car (it was already running since one of the tech's drove it up to the office area), put it in drive, pressed the gas and rolled forward I heard a sound like water sloshing around in the dashboard area. Somewhere around the center of the dash area. My first thought was "You've got to be kidding me. There's no way I hear this..." I drove forward a little more and heard it again. Stopped, rolled forward again...still sloshing. Pulled back up to the service center and went back inside to see if I could get someone to listen to it. (Rather embarrassed about the whole thing because really, it sounds like a pretty crazy thing to think you're hearing.) The tech who has been working on my car came back out and went for a ride with me. It stopped shortly after he got in the car, but he was able to hear it. His only suggestion was that it might be condensation in the...something-or-other lines and said to give them a call if I keep noticing it or if I notice it doing anything else strange.

I've read a few other posts today about water sloshing sounds like this coming from the cooling system. I haven't had any issues with the car's cooling system and all the systems checked out okay according to the service ticket. I don't understand how I take the car in to have a broken engine mount bracket replaced and leave with this weird water sloshing noise. Of course I guess it's possible that the water sloshing noise has been there for a while and I haven't been able to hear it because of the noise from the broken bracket. The car has 20,000 miles on it already. I first started noticing the noise/vibration from the engine mount bracket over 10,000 miles ago...but no one else heard it or felt it.

Is the water sloshing noise something I should be too concerned about? If it's just going to be there for a few minutes and then goes away and doesn't hurt anything, I can deal with it. I just don't want to ignore it and let it turn into a big problem. My daily commute is close to 70 miles round trip, shoulder-less country roads the whole way, the only reason I brought a new car was to avoid having to deal with various weird car issues. This is also my only vehicle and my work hours aren't "normal", so when I bring the car into the shop I have to get a rental. Really stinks having to pay $50/day for a rental while I'm still making car payments! (I've only had the car eight months and it's spent three nights at the shop in the past month and a half.)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Is the water sloshing noise something I should be too concerned about? If it's just going to be there for a few minutes and then goes away and doesn't hurt anything, I can deal with it.
Hi KCNC06,

It may not be anything too concerning, but please PM me your info (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) and I'll assist.

Have a great weekend!

~Natasha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seeing that you live in NC I doubt this is your problem but maybe.Have you had the AC on lately? The evaporator is under the dash in the center. While using the AC water runs off the evaporator coil as it pulls the humidity out of the car. There is a drain hose that runs the water out under the car. This hose can become plugged and water builds up in plastic housing. It will slosh around. You might have dislodged the gunk plugging up the hose after you started driving that day you picked up your car, then the water ran out. This happens also on home air conditioner systems. Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 Focus Wagon and it gets water in the driver's side panel below the door when the car sits in the rain. I can hear it sloshing back and forth when I start and stop. After a few miles the water has evidently leaked out, since I can't hear it any longer. I am afraid this will start rusting out from the inside. Any ideas where the water is coming from?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2007 Focus Wagon and it gets water in the driver's side panel below the door when the car sits in the rain. I can hear it sloshing back and forth when I start and stop. After a few miles the water has evidently leaked out, since I can't hear it any longer. I am afraid this will start rusting out from the inside. Any ideas where the water is coming from?
Hey CharlesGH,

Welcome to the forum. [wave]

Has the Focus visited the local Ford dealership for this concern? If not give them a visit and let them diagnose and repair the issue. Please keep me posted on the results.

Thanks,
Noemi

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having exact problem

KCNC06... What was the result of the sloshing of water behind dashboard? I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but I'm having the exact situation including just having a broken engine mount changed @ 37,000miles (probably was a problem foe awhile that went un noticed). I just bought the car a week ago @ford used cars. I will contact ford today, but wanted to know the result of your situation. I don't think it's bad, but sure it's accociated with the air conditioning. Just thought it was so weird to find your post with same car/year & same situation :D. I do love my Ford Focus!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When a car sits for a while, something as small as a spider web in the A/C drain can cause an issue.

I'm surprised that the motor mount wasn't caught B4 delivery of your "new" used car however - when I got mine used (from a dealer) ALL the necessary maint. & repair had been done B4 it was put on the lot....

(new tires, brakes, fuel filter, Oil & filter etc.)

Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts