Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2000 ford focus zx3. 2.0l zetec, mtx-75 transmisson. Looking for a water pump for performance applications. What should i do? is there a way to make it timming belt water pump? is that even worth it? Should i buy the metal spinner blade?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm always a little apprehensive about messing around with the water pump. The engineers designed all the components to work together. If you start adding upgraded performance parts .... you never know what other issues might arise.
I have heard of folks putting a larger water pump in .... and it caused an increase in system pressure that resulted in the lower radiator hose collapsing and actually causing a overheating issue.

If you want to keep her cool I would upgrade the radiator .... or the shroud and electric fans.

If the engine builder recommends a higher flow water pump ... he should also recommend what components go together with the new performance parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm always a little apprehensive about messing around with the water pump. The engineers designed all the components to work together. If you start adding upgraded performance parts .... you never know what other issues might arise.
I have heard of folks putting a larger water pump in .... and it caused an increase in system pressure that resulted in the lower radiator hose collapsing and actually causing a overheating issue.

If you want to keep her cool I would upgrade the radiator .... or the shroud and electric fans.

If the engine builder recommends a higher flow water pump ... he should also recommend what components go together with the new performance parts.
Ive found two types of water pumps. one that goes from the serpitine belt and one that goes from the timing belt. Is that on the same zetec e engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Are they both part of the same cooling system or is one part of the early model zetecs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts