Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I popped this out of my previous post b/c I would like to get an opinion:

When parked and idling, I have a loud loose rattle sound from the passenger side of the motor. I checked and noticed the motor mount is new. The noise smooths out when you give it a little gas. Assuming it's the water pump, which is not leaking, when should I actually worry about replacing it?

w/ my magic bag
What makes you say its a w/p? Why not a tensioner or idler? Or how 'bout the alternator?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you say its a w/p? Why not a tensioner or idler? Or how 'bout the alternator?
Honestly, really from just the type of sound, if that makes any sense. The belt probably needs to be replaced anyway. I've only had the car a few weeks. I know the needle on the temp gauge sits almost to the last white line before the red section while driving. I don't know what temp that may indicate and if that's hotter than most run. I have someone at work that has the same focus with half the miles. I may just give theirs a listen.

Registered
Sounds like your pump is not turning or has no blades left. Normal operating temp should read just below half like all fords.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the sound isn't until the car is warmed up, and there's no change in it with or without the a/c on, so I'm on to it just being the tensioner. My temp was running closer to 3/4 of the way to red during the wet cool weather the past couple of weeks, but is now running just below half, like you described. Maybe I need to get a new set of belts on it. Thanks!

Registered
Ok, the sound isn't until the car is warmed up, and there's no change in it with or without the a/c on, so I'm on to it just being the tensioner. My temp was running closer to 3/4 of the way to red during the wet cool weather the past couple of weeks, but is now running just below half, like you described. Maybe I need to get a new set of belts on it. Thanks!
Not sure about the noise, worth checking all the pulley's and tentioners.

However, your temp gauge readings would have me worried. Both of my Foci (a MKI and a MKIII) have never went above the half way point. Even in 105掳F heat, stop n go on the freeway, idling for hours... That needle never budges.

I would at minimum replace your thermostat. I didn't see your mileage, maybe its due anyway? Not sure if there is a way to check your water pump without removing it... and if you go to the trouble of pulling it off you might as well replace it. But that would be the last thing on my list to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts