Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody knows how to remove the water pump in a focus 2.3L 2003?
the problem is, I already remove the three bolts and I can't move,take off from motor block.
I reheat it with propane but it doesn't work.Do I have to take the whole motor out or something?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Are you sure there arent anymore bolts or nuts holding it in? If not then just tap it with a hammer to break it loose.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Unfortunately, those are glued in place by RTV. I don't think heat is going to be that helpful when you're dealing with 2 aluminum parts that will expand and contract at the same rate. Be careful not to mess anything up with all the prying and beating. There's no sense in destroying an block over removing a water pump.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What I recommend is to first take the three bolts off that hold on the pulley, then take a long flathead screwdriver and get one of the corners of the blade into one of the three holes that the pulley bolts went into, then take a rubber mallet and tap on it. You will likely have to do this from two angles that are 180 degrees apart from each other.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Whatever you do don't use an aluminum sealing surface as a leverage spot with a metal prying tool. If all the bolts are off, tap the pump shaft side to side with a hammer. Once you begin to rip the silicone seal you should be able to pull it the rest of the way off. Otherwise find some sort of plastic or wooden object you can use to cut or pry it with.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^^ Agreed,

What I try to do is "rotate" it in place. you can beat up the water pump all you want. It is being replaced. rotating it a little will break the rtv seal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke the RTt seal and now I'm dealing with half of the waterpump that sits inside. Half of the waterpump broke off and came out but the other half is stil stuck in it. Wth do I do now to extract it

·
Registered
1 Posts
none of this is working for me i have a 2006 ford focus zx4 2.0l i have all the bolts out the pump wiggles, wont turn and wont pull out from engine block please help!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Reviving this thread but I'm having the same issue trying to get my water pump out. This thing won't budge. I have all three bolts out and I don't want to damage anything. Has anybody successfully changed out a water pump on a 2.3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem it took me two days to get my water pump out I ended up getting a long flathead screwdriver and hammering out from different angles to get some out just enough and I took the headlight out to get it out of side angle and put a crowbar in there and pride it out took me two days how this helps with some people because unfortunately for decided to glue the water pump in with RTV

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Coker83 just bumped this old thread. Adding my 2 cents.

My 2.3 water pump was also stuck in place.

If the thermostat is removed, you can pry-out/push-out the water pump from the inside of the engine block; I had my Son do this part, while I was prying on the outside, on the pump. This worked.

The Bad News: in order to remove the t-stat, the intake manifold must/should be removed, so this makes it a big job, or bigger job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts