Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2001 Focus SE 2.0 DOHC has a coolant leak. We're 99% sure it's the water pump. Do I have to mess with the timing in any way when replacing the pump?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My wife's 2001 Focus SE 2.0 DOHC has a coolant leak. We're 99% sure it's the water pump. Do I have to mess with the timing in any way when replacing the pump?
On the DOHC (Zetec) engine the water pump is driven from the serpentine belt and has nothing to do with the timing (the older SOHC CVH/SPI engine's water pump was driven off the timing belt). The Zetec pump atteches to the engine with 4 bolts and seals to the engine with a large o-ring.

I replaced the water pump and o-ring on the Zetec in my 2002 wagon last November at 122K miles as it was noisy (bearing was shot). I installed a Motorcraft PW595 pump (came with new o-ring) and it was a very straight forward job. I removed the front engine mount (supporting the engine from below) and raised the engine a bit whicht made access to the pump very easy. While I was in there I also replaced the sepentine belt tensioner Motorcraft BT109 (I had previously replaced the belt).

Paul

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did what Paul did. ALSO, there is a stamped metal ring/gasket behind the aluminum water pump housing. It's a little extra time and effort to get to but IF YOU HAVE THE TIME replace it, it's cheap insurance and you'll thank yourself 100 miles from home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts