Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my water pump tomorrow. I have a 2000 focus se 2.0l mfi dohc 4cyl. So I've seen some posts that say i don't need to remove the timing belt and others that say i do. I know i need to drop the engine and have no problem with that its just if i have to do the timing i have never attempted it nor have a clue how to go about it. any help?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The confusion arises because in the DOHC Zetec motor, the water pump is run by the accessory belt. If you need to remove the complete water pump housing then the timing belt needs to come off so you can access the housing bolts. In the SOHC SPI engine, the timing belt must be removed to change the pump.

If you have the DOHC, you shouldn't need to mess with the timing belt.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184383

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been searching all night for this info! I dropped the timing belt a couple years ago, mechanic informed me he didn't replace the water pump, because the timing belt didn't affect it- but now that I've got an overheating issue, I'm trying to put together what I need to do- and water pump threads all over (including the videos on youtube) don't cover this particular quirk!
Thanks!~

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
If you have an overheating issue, I would attend to the more obvious and less time consuming possible causes first:
1. Proper coolant fluid level with no obvious leaks; system holds pressure
2. Electric fans are functional
3. Fan resistor/fan relay/fan fuses and wiring are sound
4. Thermostat is operating correctly

The Focus has a common problem of consuming cooling fan resistors and wiring pig tails on AC equipped cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can attest to that, my resistor and wiring were fried and I mean toasted. Replaced both and that was the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts