Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i belive i need to replace my water pump because it is leaking and i was reading in my haynes book that if the housing needs to be replaced the timing belt needs to be taken off is there another way to get it off without taking the timing belt off? because if it has to come off it has to go to ford because i don't have the tools to do a job that big.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I just did mine a few months back. If its a zetec the timing belt does NOT have to come off. The accesory belt does, but not the timing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone know if it is easy to access the water pump through the wheel well, im not sure if you can get at it through that way because it is such a tight space down there.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's not as tight as you think. If you take off the motor mount and that belt cover underneath you'll be fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i read your thread last night ill try taking off the belt cover and motor mount it just seems so tight because on mine the water pump is across from the frame so it seems like there is only about 3" on room to work with.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes your correct. But none of the bolts on the water pump are very tight so you can get in there w/ your 1/4 drive(little) ratchet. Also, I didn't need to, but if you'd like you can lower your engine down a few inches and help w/ your clearance. Another tip is that whenever you go to bolt your pulley back on it's hard to line the bolt up w/ the hole in the pulley, w/ the hole in the pump. What I did is got underneath and felt until I got one hole lined up and put my 1st bolt in. Then I spun that all around to bring another open hole to the bottom and put in the 2nd bolt, and so on. It's really not to bad. I did it by myself w/ basic experience in 3 and 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did the water pump on my Zetec, engine code 3, the round one... The book shows motor out and that's no help to the Home-Garage-Wanna-Save-$500-Mechanic like myself... I followed Grimple1's directions in this thread and I did it although I was scared to undo the motor mounts, Scrammer boosted my confidence... Although it was a lengthy pain in the ass, I did it!! Surprised the hell out of me... Here's a link to the thread, it's the only way it'll work.

Printable directions:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153483

Awesome pics w/ directions per Rabbitccc post:(wish I would have found earlier)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184383

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Way to go do-it-yourselfers!!!

Don't be afraid to move the engine up or down on the remaining motor mounts, just don't over do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts