Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump pulley (or it's attaching bolts) broke and destroyed the serpentine belt on my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3. A new water pump is easy to find online, but I need help sourcing the following parts:
Water pump pulley
Water Pump Pulley bolts
Water pump mounting bolts

www.fordpartswebsite.com has the pulley listed for $7, which seems to be priced far too low.

I plan on contacting ford dealerships in the area for parts tomorrow but would like an online back-up plan in case the dealerships cannot locate the parts in a timely manner.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yep, had the same thing happen to me as well. I have a thread on it too somewhere.

You must use blue thread lock when you bolt the pulley back in place. And the pump has to be mounted first before installing it (because I learned the hard way and tried to install the pulley first, lol).

But to my surprise the dealership had them for like 6 bucks or something, came with the pulley and the three grade 8 bolts. Mounting bolts? I don't know about that one, ask them for it as well, couldn't be that much more exepensive. I bet you're looking at 10 bucks in parts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr.Bergner. I called the dealership and, like you said, the pulley was really cheap. Before today I thought cheap and dealership were an oxymoron.

I'm also glad you mentioned the pulley to pump attachment situation because I was planning to do just that.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Ha sweet, it makes sense to bolt it on first.

But now that I think of it, I believe I had to get the bolts separate. Just ask for them.

When I posted a thread about it, several others chimed in with the same issue so it must be common enough for dealerships to keep them on hand.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My water pump pulley had started to rust from the edge out and was destroying my front-end accessory drive belt in the process. (WNY salt) A brand-new pulley was $8 from my dealer - and - yes, I used the blue thread locker when putting it back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the help. I picked up the pulley and bolts after they arrived at the dealership this morning. The installation was simple enough and everything seems to be running fine and no longer rattling or destroying itself.

Is this normal wear and tear for a 92,XXX mile vehicle, or could it be indirectly related to the Power works supercharger kit I installed some 30,XXX miles ago? I'm wondering if the aftermarket belt tensioner is applying a higher torque load to the belt than stock, causing premature pulley failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts