Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Depends on the shop. Water pump job can be costly.

The big floor jacks like Paul's are nice. But I don't use one enough to justify the price. So I got an old style trolley jack. Don't recall the price but was far less than the fancy ones. It was good enough to jack up the car, and raise and lower the engine. If I need more height I can stack blocks of wood.

And whatever floor jack you get, buy some hydraulic jack oil to fill it up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As for cost, DIY keeps YOU in control. A shop can say anything. This broke, and that broke, and blah blah blah so we had to charge you more than the estimate. They hold your car hostage until you pay. What can you do. Take them to court? The judge will believe what the mechanic says. He doesn't know. You're out of luck.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just get good references from people you trust. No shop I worked at would ever do that to somebody ever.
A good automotive shop will over estimate a repair, and will be transparent with the car owner about possibilities of things breaking if the car is older.

The only time a good shop will hold a car hostage is if you do a repair that was agreed upon and they don't want to pay.

They will also provide you with the old parts if you would like.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The big floor jacks like Paul's are nice. But I don't use one enough to justify the price. So I got an old style trolley jack. Don't recall the price but was far less than the fancy ones.
Big, fancy - LOL!

The one on the pic is an el cheapo from Harbor Freight - not even one of their 'light weight' or 'low profile' models. I think Ive had that one about 4 years and paid maybe $80. Nothing fancy - they are practically disposable. Ive got a real dinosaur Craftsman floor jack that Ive had since the early 1980s. Only 1-1/2 Tons but weights probably 125+ lbs. Still works and has never needed a drop of jack oil but Im getting too old to lug it around.

Paul

·
Registered
249 Posts
@3sons When I replaced the water pump on my ‘07, it was quite difficult to remove the pump out of its bore.

I ended up having to place the end of a ~18” 2x4 against various side of the pump housing and repeatedly hit the 2x4 with a 3lb dead hammer to slowly walk the pump housing out of its bore.

I was a few failed whacks away from having my 17 year old, baseball playing son come out to “take a whack” at it while I held the 2x4. I finally felt the pump housing move move a smidge and knew it was on its way to giving up the ghost.

Hopefully yours goes like most in this thread have experienced but don’t think you’re screwed if you just can’t easily wiggle it out with your hands. It will come out but may require some creativity and coercion.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Just went thru this, and it wasn't the water pump..............

The coolant reservoir had some pin hole leaks sometimes................

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thank you for all the replies and input. My reservoir is fairly new, a few years old now. I checked all the hose, radiator, etc. I literally laid under the car and watch the drip form on the water pump. I am 99.9% sure that is it. Man, I hope that .1% doesn't get me. Haha.

Here is a question. Do I even need to jack up the vehicle to replace the pump? I know I need the jack under the oil pan and I have a 2 tom floor jack for that. But, besides manipulating the engine do I need to lift the car?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't try it without taking the wheel off. That requires jack stands to support the car, while the wheel is off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thank you SRC. Do you guys think it would be too dangerous to jack the water pump side of the vehicle up on a scissor jack as I replace the pump?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Do not get under a vehicle without jack stands.
I have personally never had a jack go out on me but it does happen and people have been severely injured, and even sometimes killed from it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sound advice Zac. I am cheap, but not cheap enough to cost me my life or safety. Just curious. I've seen my father, back in the day, do some crazy stuff while working on cars. But, that was in the 1970s when anything went.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Does anyone have recommendations on what brand of jack stands to buy?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I bought a combo package, floor jack plus two jack stands for $50. I'm not recommending anything, just saying that's what I used. The floor jack got a bad review from one customer, but I didn't have that problem. I followed the directions and added hydraulic jack oil to fill it up. Worked for me. Buyer beware.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/teq-correct-2ton-trolley-jack-with-2ton-jack-stands-combination-tq925/11936744-P?searchTerm=teq%20jack

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like the idea of relying on a thick metal bar to solidly support the car’s weight rather than a fraction of an inch on a notch like the ratcheting jack stands do.

I’m more comfortable using these and consider them my primary, ‘go-to’ jack stands.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thank you SRC and Beretta. I have to say I really like the jack stands you both recommended. I'll be shopping this weekend for some.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thank you Paul. I like the idea of the locking pin. A little extra safety feature.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts