Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I installed a new water pump about 3 weeks ago and every thing has been ok until last night. I took my brother out for a cruise on some s curves to deminstrate the handling of this beast....I drove it hard of course and it ran perfect. When I got home, I popped the hood and noticed my coolant was boiling out of the resivor. I mean this shit was HOT! Could this mean the water pump is bad or is it the thermostat or what. I didnt notice any visible leaks any where, but I could hear the shit boiling in the motor it self. It still runs fine and stays at temp, but this just shouldnt happen. Or could it be the over sized wp pulley thats causing this?...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the oversized pulley makes the pump turn slower, so that could be the cause. I'll let someone smarter chime in with more help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It shouldnt be boiling and be in the temp range on the gauge so something is off. Sometimes you can get an air bubble in there when you do a water pump but if you drove it hard and after the temp came back down the level was still in range then it could be your pulley. I had someone come in onetime and he had his belt wrapped around it the wrong direction so it was spinning backwards and that cause it to overheat but that was on a zetec. But those are the things I would check first.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^^^zetec and SVT have same belt routing, don't they? They are the same block...

I'd say it was probably an air bubble that got trapped at the water pump, but I'd double check your belt routing just in case what hockey was talking about happened.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Double check all of your water system hose clamps too. If one is loose or missing that can cause an air problem (not just leaks) in the cooling system and can cause a boil over.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so how do I eliminate an air bubble...I am pretty sure its routed right since its the only way I could get it on with no slack...Oh an I dont think its possible to put these on backwards, the water pump only fits one way on this car so you dont do that

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
nickouellettesvt said:
No one knows how to eliminate this, do I just flush the radiator or what?
Run it, with the reservoir cap off, and watch your temp gauge to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Once you feel the upper radiator hose is hot, all the air should be worked out. That is the easiest method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts