Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what might be causing water to puddle on the floor of my focus. Its right between the front seat and the rear seat on the floor. It is water and not any other fluids. Just wanted to make sure there aren't any seals or something I should be looking for. Considering it to be a door seal, but wanted to rule out if there are any mechanical items there that might cause this like A/C drain or something.
I have torn up the carpet a bit from the door and only a bit of the green padding is wet from the door to the floor, but the floor has puddles of water. Does this sound like a seal problem or something mechanical? Please help? Also do I need to be concerned with the wires located along the door?
Thanks and sorry for the ramble

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
there is a pretty common leak at the front cowl that allows water to run down the firewall and settle on the passenger side floorboard. Just remove the cowl, install your cabin airfilter if it's never been done, then when you re-install the cowl, seal it with weatherstrip adhesive. Problem fixed.

The only other leak that is fairly common in that area is if your evaporater drain tube is clogged. Then the condensation from the A/C unit will drain out onto the floor. You can check this by gently probing your drain tube with a pen or other object like that. It's located on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment. Look behind the intake manifold, down about 12 inches or so and towards the right side strut tower. That little black tube poking out from the firewall (about 1 inch long) is what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will look at both tomorrow when there is light. The only other time I have ever noticed wetness was in the winter when it snowed a few times and just this weekend after I washed my car. But then agian I don't sit in the back seat and don't care passangers a lot. So, I guess I am not sure when it does get wet. But Thank you agian.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if it only happens when it rains or snows, I'd look especially at option number 1... option 2 would be more when running the a/c a lot. Good Luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Option one is a common problem.... I had the same issue.... I just took a put some clear silicone under the crowl...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the cowl. When they installed the air filter there they didn't attach it right. The clips aren't broken that hold it down, but there still is not a good seal, so I think I will have to either weather strip it or silicon it down. Thank you agian!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well as I thought I fixed the leak, I didn't. Instead that just fixed one of the leaks. The water was coming in thru the cabin air filter area. Now I have water coming in behind the ECU area. Would anyone know if there are any plugs, or gaskets that might be around there? The leak of course is behind the rubber insulation behind the computers. Or so we think, the guy whom has been helpping me is a mechanic for PeterBult and he said he could feel a gasket or something behind there and when he pushed up on the ring more water came in than if left alone. Anyone have this problem or any idea what I might be talking about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am experiencing a water leak (front passenger side). Seems to be coming in through the area where the cabin air filter sits. Strangely enough, it has only happened since I replaced the cabin air filter. Am going to try to fix it myself before I take it to the dealer. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good Luck

Good Luck on finding the leak! Mine was coming in from the cabin air filter, because the cowl was not put back on right when they replaced the air filter. But not only was that a problem but so was the wire harness into the car boot! It was leaking water. Since they replaced my wire harness and Boot no problems. They also replaced my cowl, I guess there is a Service Bulletin out on it. Good Luck on it! After two weeks of messing with my car I relized it was a bigger problem than I could handle

The wire harness/boot and wires were covered by Ford warranty, but the cowl wasn't.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Its snowing and the water build up just soaked my laptop through my backpack. So tomorrow i'm getting it checked out.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i had this issue as well, back behind passenger spot, i had no clue wtf it is, so where do i look to look for the issues, i dont wanna have that rust or anything, up here the use LIQUID SALT NOW so thats [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g gay, everything is gonna rust now!!!

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
To gain access to the area in question you need to remove the wheel and inner fenderwell. From there you should see the plugs where the wiring harness for the PCM goes into the cabin.

As a guess- water is supposed to drain off the cowl on both sides, then down behind the inner fenderwell to exit the gap between the fender and the door. I'm guessing that somehow water is riding down the wiring harness and into the car that way- or is being trapped by the foam wind blockers that are in this area, and seeping through another grommet somewhere.

For backseat problems, I'd be checking the gaskets on the doors and the back window seals. From what I've seen under the carpet in my wagon (I pulled it out to add sound insulation) I don't believe that water can find a path from the front floor to the back floor because of the seat rails. It looks flat from above, but believe me- there is more under the molded carpet than you'd think. I could be wrong since my memory is not perfect- so if you fix a leak up front and never see water in the back again- please correct me!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks whynotthinkwhynot for bieng so comprehensive. I have had a leak in my focus all winter. I initially thought it wa s the cowl so I sealed the cowl - no problem. I bought all new parts and took my time to do the job right. But the water wasnt coming from there though. The next time I scrubbed my car there was water on my front floor boards again.
To kind of localize the probelm I ran a hose along the top of my fender when the hood was open and then carefully watched the inside of my car to see if water would find its way in.

It sure did. I just watched it pour in.

Where is that water finding a way in?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
T
To kind of localize the probelm I ran a hose along the top of my fender when the hood was open and then carefully watched the inside of my car to see if water would find its way in.

It sure did. I just watched it pour in.

Where is that water finding a way in?
Pull the inner fenderwell plastic, look back towards the door of the car from under the fender. There should be plugs there which might not be installed completely. Also check the seal around the interior air vent which is in the cowl on the passenger side. I'd use the same method with a cup of water to keep it localized in that area. I'd try removing the passenger kick panel, glove compartment, and removing the screws holding the inertia switch in place to reveal as much body metal in that area as possible for inspection. If you're completely missing body plugs- complain like hell to your dealer and maybe you can get some new ones. If they want you to pay, check local junkyards or call Mike at Hilbish Ford from our vendor section. There is NO reason not to use a junkyard plug. Modern flexible plastics and rubber additives make these plugs last forever. Even the old ones would get stuck before the would decay in most circumstances.

To repair the interior air vent, you'll have to remove it and re-seal it. If you have an 05-07, then I suggest searching junkyards for an earlier model that has the cabin air filter. You can remove the cabin air filter assembly and install it instead the screen in these cars. Almost anything can be used for sealant, but I'd personally locate some aluminum window sealing putty (should be formed into rolls separated by paper) from a hardware store because it never loses elasticity and because it's a putty you can easily tell if you have a complete seal- and change up if needed. Mike can also direct you to a part number for windshield adhesive which comes in a tube which fits in caulk guns and will retain elasticity after drying. I'd get the Ford part because the OTC 3M stuff I've used before is tougher to remove and dries more rigid than the OEM.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well looks like this will be my next project. I've got water on the floorboard both front and back on the passenger side. Could this all be from the front grommets under the hood?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My car has started STINKING to high heaven inside, like old musty water. I found that the right (passenger) floor pan was all wet.
According to my owner's manual, my particular car does not have the cabin air filter, can I put one in it anyway? Something that was said earlier makes me think maybe I can.....but I thought all focuses had them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And please allow me to understand: To get to this filter, you must remove the cowl?? I have never changed one of these things on any vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts