Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 2dr hatchback

The past couple of weeks my passenger side floor was flooding with water when it rains, likely from a bad door or body seal. I went into the car yesterday, and the driver's side floor had water! Whisky tango foxtrot!

It's not coolant.. Could it have something to do with the cabin filter?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Common problem. Most cars didn't come with a cabin air filter. The channel under the cowl molding can get clogged up with leaves and what not and water won't drain out of the side like it is supposed to.

Pull the cowl molding, clean everything out, put a cabin filter in if there isn't one or just replace while you have everything apart, and reseal the molding to the wind shield. Personally I would just go get some 3M double sided tape to hold it down/seal it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Most common for the passenger side.

Driver's side the first question is often whether you have a sunroof.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the car has a sunroof. Bad seal? It appears that there's channels on the front left and right side corners of the sunroof for drainage..?

Thanks for your input, Sailor, Pappy and MA!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sunroof doesn't seal completely, channels lead to drain tubes and there is one at the left window pillar. If you can find a water trail leading that way it might be the problem.

pouring water down the tube when dry to see if the drain is clear is one way to try checking it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had the same problem on my 02 ZX5. Passenger side windshield cowl was bad. I had bought new ones from ford and had the windshield replaced. (Windshield was just something I replaced because of rock chips.) The guy that replaced my windshield also put my new cowls on. No problem since. Only problem I had was finding a carbon filter for mine. My car did not come stock with the pollen filter. I ordered one but the box is smaller than the filter so I just left it alone. And I agree on the drivers side about the sunroof. Unless the water is also running down the firewall from the passenger side and into the driver side. Like if your parking it at an angle. But more than likely a blocked gutter so to say from the sunroof.

Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but do all Foci have cabin air filters? Is the best/only way to access the filter through the cowl? Seems kind of strange that you have to pull the whole cowl just to get to the filter and then have to reseal it to the windshield when you're done. But I'm new to cabin filters and the way Ford does things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No.. only certain focus has the pollen filters. Mine did not come stock with the filter. I went to the parts house to get a new one and tried to install it before I had the new cowl put on but it will not hold a filter. My filter box is to small and will not hold the filter. But anyway yes that is the only way in to the filter. Some people will never change that filter. There are some that will install a new filter but re sealing it is just buying it and doing it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
spaceman - I think yours is too new to have the removable grate where a filter can be installed. Lifting the engine side of the cover was all that was needed to get one in, still not easy.

Pretty common for the first generation of cars to have filters installed/available. Later designs included it in the planning & locations became easier to access. Adding it at the intake under the cowl is definitely a stop gap system before a total redesign to accommodate one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys. I did a little searching on youtube, here and google on the filter after I posted and saw pics of the later design air boxes that mine probably has. Found the walk-though on this site about adding the early one to accommodate a filter and it definitely looks like too much work. Judging by the amount of dirt/dust in my vents, I'm guessing the car only has a screen and the previous owner spent a ton of time in the dirt. Going to double check for debris tomorrow but I don't plan on doing any extra work to that area of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the passenger side window pillar molding, sun visor and one of those annoying as hell to remove headliner oh-shoot handles and noticed that the rubber drain hose wasn't attatched to the nipple! Doh! Problem solved.... (the oh-shoot handle on the headliner is a whole other thread)

The rubber hose for sunroof drainage is approximately 3/8" dia. Not too certain what the smaller one nearby that's approx 1/4" dia is for tho...

Thanks for all the replies and help [cheers]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as i suspected, the driver's side is still leaking... Taking the A-pillar molding and those oh-shoot handles off is a real PITA! The passenger side osh won't stay on properly. I expect the same for the driver side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts