Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just came back from a short drive ad noticed a leak coming from the underside of the the engine cant see where its coming from exactly but its dripping quite bad, any ideas where this could be coming from as my coolant level has not dropped its leaking from the rear of the engine by the looks of it and its a 2002 tdci
cheers

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not sure what the weather is like over there in the UK, but are you using the A/C. Condensation will drain in that area.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Are you sure it's water?

If you have AC on that vehicle, it could be that you're using the DEF or FLOOR/DEF setting to keep fog off the inside of the windshield. Even if you're using these selections with the heater on, the AC compressor will still kick in. This is to draw moisture out of the air before it's blown on the inside of the windshield. The AC light won't come on, but it's still running. At least that's how they wire things to work in NA, and I'd assume on your side of the pond as well. I'm sure you can figure out if that's what is going on by turning the car on, turn on the blower, and then watch the front of the AC compressor pulley. If the compressor is turning, AC on, the front of the pulley will turn. It should cycle on and off, so you'll see it.

The reason I write this is because I doubt someone would mistake coolant for water, and you said water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the advice yeah its deffinatly water as it has no smell at all to it the leak is coming from a u shaped pipe with is not connected to anything low down towards the rear of the engine bay which i presume is an overflow for something i will try putting the blower on and see if it causes the leak to start up again[idea]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It shouldn't take long with the climate there- I hear there's fog across that island regularly. Pop the hood and look for that AC clutch pulley to cycle- you should hear it click as well.

I think American cars are the only ones that automatically turn the AC on when any vent selection that hits the windscreen is turned on. I've never frequently driven a European car, so I don't know if anyone over there does that as well. I know the Japanese cars don't do it. Some people think it's wacky, but it makes sense because it clears the fog off the inside of the ws much quicker. It does use more fuel though. I tend to cycle it off and on during rain by barely moving my vent selection above floor/def. When the vent air is hot enough it will prevent fogging without the AC pulling moisture out of the air. I don't know how your controls work, so I don't know if that trick will work for you- if that's what it is.

Now I'm surprised you don't have that really cool heated windscreen stuff like the Canadians do. I thought you UK peeps had all the cool stuff available in your Foci? Like the new 1.0 EB engine that's being released there, but not here. So much for the Ford global myth. They will surely make excuses like emissions regulations, but really I think they don't want to devalue their oil investment portfolio by releasing really energy efficient vehicles cheaply to the US public.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right its definitely coming from a pipe towards the back of the engine bay dripping continuously more so when the heater is turned on full but then starts to ease up,it looks to me that the pipe leads from a corrugated aluminium block at the rear left bolted onto the engine( not sure what it is though[confused])

1 - 7 of 7 Posts