Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys

Only just noticed it today but I have a constant drip of water from underneath the zx3, its coming from the engine compartment but Im not sure what it is. Im guessing it has to be from the windscreen reservoir, right ? Ive noticed that my coolant for the radiator is also below LOW , however that could be my bad maintanence. Any ideas guys ?

I would appreciate it

thanks

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Are you running your air conditioner? Condensation is one possibility for water dripping, especially if it doesn't look like windshield washer fluid or coolant...

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Check out this thread, you could have the infamous Coolant leak....

Click me

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well ive just filled my windscreen water to max and put water just over min for my coolant, I guess I wil see which one is lower in the morning. Im guessing it wil be my windscreen water and i dont see coloured coolant leaking

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure its not coolant as its just water when it hits the ground, mvhudson yeah im running my air con, it is florida you know :) silly question but is Condensation a problem ?

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Your coolant won't be terribly colored if there is a slight leak, it will look like water...the best way to see if the leaking fluid is coolant, give it a quick taste. No really, it will taste very sweet like maple syrup (thank you Viney266 for that tip! [:D] )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
funny JohnMichael i just searched and saw vineys tip also. Im going to wait till morning and see if the coolant or windscreen levels have lowered

guys thanks for all your fast replys so far

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and as far as the condensation from the a/c, i guess i can wait till the morning to see if it still drips before i drive.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"No really, it will taste very sweet like maple syrup"

Or if you don't want to eat it, rub it between the fingers... coolant will be very slippery compared to plain water or the typical washer fluid.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Well, the car air conditioner creates condensation just like your home air conditioner. I'm not sure where the car air conditioner drains it off, but I thought it could be a possiblity for your problem. You rarely find just water under a car (unless that's all you have in your washer tank). You'd expect to find coolant or washer fluid in the water, so I'm working more by the process of elimination [:)]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mvhudson was on it, got up this morning, no dripping and my windscreen and coolant levels remain the same. Phew

Guys, thanks for all ur help as always

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You are supposed to have dripping under the car after using the A/C for a while... if you didn't, that would be a bad sign. You are ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts