Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water coming into the passenger foot well after it rains. It appears to be coming in around the heater core but I'm not sure. It's definitely not coolant though as it only appears after a rain and I went through the car wash and the water was sudsy. I had the car parked under the roof line one day (water was pooring onto the top of the car) and there was a substantial puddle so I need to get this fixed ASAP as there is already mold growth in the car.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this leak?

·
Registered
16,042 Posts
The right side plastic cowl piece has a dam and trough on the bottom side that shifts water away from being directly over the intake hole. ANY crack whatsoever in that shield covering area and the water gets in. Forget any thoughts of sealing the plastic at the windshield base, it was never designed to seal there although many think so. The dam underneath is what stops water getting in. When the plastic gets older they can crack as the plastic must warp slightly to get the dam under the windshield edge.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat to join the others on this issue.

amc49's answer covers reasons a seal isn't the best fix, an alternative fix is to build a shield OVER the air intake to divert the water to the tray.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
ZakZuk - BET you have a MkIII {post 2011} and your leak is in the passenger footwell area at the side of the center console.

Take things apart & clean out whatever is blocking the drain hose, as a first step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ZakZuk - BET you have a MkIII {post 2011} and your leak is in the passenger footwell area at the side of the center console.

Take things apart & clean out whatever is blocking the drain hose, as a first step.
You are right. It's 2012 ? already cleaned the hose with air pressure. I didn't remove the white plastic part because i'm afraid to break it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this problem as well. In my case the water was not draining out properly. The area underneath the cowl, where the cabin filter belongs and water should have flowed out was clogged with dead leaves and small sticks. A regular compost heap down there. I was able to vacuum it out though it was a bit tricky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been experiencing this problem for a while now and I can’t seem to figure out how to fix it. I’ve spent over $300 on new weather strips for the doors and windows and nothing seems to work. I have a picture of where the water seems to be coming in from. If anyone has any information on how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts