Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone traced any leaks in the rear hatch (ZX3) to the plastic triangle near the rear quarter window? I've removed the rear bumper, inspected the welded seams and bolt holes, even RTV'd under the bolts on the light assembly and bumper cover mounts. Still leaks and runs down along the seams on the pass side creating a pool in the trunk on rear pass corner near the bumper.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'll bet on a leaking tail-light assy. The three attachment studs that go through the body are a prime spot.....you need to seal around the studs on the outside of the body. Sealing on the inside won't cut it. I'll bet a ring of plumber's puddy around the studs before attachment would be enough....and removable also.

The other possibility is the rubber grommet for the wiring.....could be split.

A way to test......remove enough interior pieces to see the areas from inside. Lay back there while someone sprays the car with a hose. Just spray around the tail-light for starters....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help on this. I have tried looking for the leak source while most things are removed in the trunk interior and while my wife ran the hose over the back corner of the vehicle. The water seems to be following the seams from somewhere up where it is not easy to see. I have tried RTV under the light assembly mounting bolts, not from the outside but in between the mounting surface and the washer after removing and reinstalling the light assembly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to say it might be coming from the plastic triangle at the juntion of the window and the light assembly and body panels. Anyone ever tried to remove or seal this?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well sorry.....can't help any further. I've had my tail-lights removed, but not the piece you mention.

There is at least one way to confirm a leak from a spot like that.....temporarily tape it up from the outside. Then spray it down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I had the same leak in the right rear (hatchback). It was one of the holes under the light. Not sure which one, probably the wiring. I RTV'd all areas and stopped my leak. I did use tape temporarily and kept running water over it until stopped.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i had the same problem. come to find out it was the gasket where the wiring for the third brake light comes out of. i filled it up with silicone and bam. no more leaks

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
3M makes a seam sealant for body panels. You can get it from your local auto body supplier. You also could have a leak from your bumper vent. I learned that from my old accord. So in every car since, I take a small rectangular plastic(ziploc works well)cut one side off placed upwards at the vent. Then seal it in place with low expansion foam and let cure for 24 hrs. It makes a open ended box that works. You can use the foam and rubberized undercoating to seal leaks in many places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts