Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
WAIIIT! STOP PEOPLE!!
I know what the problem is... it affects all UK ford foci (Mk1) It is the pollen filter cover... Go to ford and ask them to change the cover to the revised metal cover. I had this problem before, water leaked into the passanger footwell.. its because the old plastic pollen filter cover does not seal properly and hence allows water in to the ventilation ducts.. and the nearest one is low and behold, the passanger footwell!! It is a known common fault by ford!!! so goo! get it changed! its cheap!! and it WILL fix your problem GUARANTEED!! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem with my 01 LX.
Solution: We put clear silicone (neatly) on the outside black trim that meets the windshield.
No water after that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hiya, ive never seen this metal cover before, would sealing the cowel to the windscreen fix my problem or should i go to ford? how much did the new metal cove cost you?

·
Registered
324 Posts
hiya, ive never seen this metal cover before, would sealing the cowel to the windscreen fix my problem or should i go to ford? how much did the new metal cove cost you?
hmmm i guess so, i went to my local garage and they found the problem straight away. they told me Ford knows about it and have since made this modified pollen filter cover out of metal.. so i guess go straight to Ford then.

my garage did it for 90 quid.. but im guessing quid is cos of the 1.5 Hr investigation lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have what appears to be the same issue on a car I bought two weeks ago. It's 55 reg, so about 3 years old. Seemed fine when I first got it... the dealer is having it in for repair in a couple of days - what should I be aware of in terms of issues that this may cause (e.g. mold under carpets, rusting of internal fan motor / shaft that I have read about on another forum...)

What would would people advise - should I try and push for the dealer to give me a refund, am I likely to have long term issues with this (assuming it's been faulty since new or for a while?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cowl/drip shield is where my gf's 2002 was leaking from, but the plastic tray underneath it broke after some retard replaced the windshield. She bought it last summer and since then the car has been great, I'm not a hug Ford fan but I was impressed about this little car, I'm a Jeep guy. I got a question though anyone know where to buy this windshield/drip guard/cowl plastic online or from someone for cheap. I need to replace this for my GF since I put epoxy to it for now but that is just a temp fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok guys, I've had this problem and did all the troubleshooting as well. it is definitely a poor design. First of all the geniuses at Ford decided to put the fresh air intake right smack underneath the windshield, which wouldn't be so bad if you have it completely incapable of getting water inside. Problem is...on the Right Hand Grille only, there is a lip molded into the underside of the grille panel, this lip is not designed to entirely cover the entire fresh air intake. If water should get under the rubber seal fitted against the windshield then it will theoretically run underneath unto this lip and theoretically run out the right hand side. Problem is where this lip ends on the underside does not completely cover the air intake, so as water runs under the grille it goes straight into the air intake and thus down by the blower motor, you know the rest.....My solution right now is actually quite simple but a bit ugly....Just put a few pieces of clear duct tape over the lip of the cowle grille onto the windshield. This will prevent the water from getting under the seam and down into the fresh air intake. I also put a cheap 1/4" foam seal under the rubber seam to help out. Depending on your gap, you might need more or less thickness. The ford service manual suggests a butyl strip, I haven't located this part number though. I did not have success with using RTV silicone as some have suggested since the gap became too large and just creates a huge mess and does nothing. Definitely replacing the grille and the stupid little white "sandwich" clips" that cinch the cowle grille down to the windshield is advantageous. I would also say try cutting a little piece of flexible plastic (maybe 3-4 inches long) from a TV tray or something relatively flat and tape it to that lip (to extend it past and over fresh air intake) to allow the water to run onto it if water does happen to get underneath the cowl. It will be challenging to install with this, but maybe you can get that to work out for you. Good luck, and hopefully Ford changes the mold for that panel to get that lip to cover the entire fresh air intake.
actualy what you do is go to home depot or lowes get the black silicone roofing caulking for roof and flashing . take out the cowls black piece plastic under wipers clean the grooves and put a bead under plastic cowl put back and run a bead right were the plastic and glas meet let dry amd no more water in da passenger side

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a heavy rain the passenger side foot well is holding water. Please Help!

I have had my 2002 Focus ZX5 for about a year and I absolutely love it! But I got in the other day and noticed a good amount of standing water in the passenger side foot well, I can't tell where its coming from. It happens when its a steady rain. My back window has condensation built up. So I'm wondering is there another leak somewhere else besides the passenger leak. It smells very musty. If someone could help me it would be really appreciated. Thanks. [???:)]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You read through the previous posts but don't know where to look for the leak?

Or you're wondering about the condensation? Because if you have water in the footwell, you're bound to have condensation on a window somewhere as the car warms up in the sun.

Once the leak is fixed and the carpets shopvac'ed dry, toss in one of those volcanic rock bags they make for removing odours. They do a phenomenal job on taking out the last bit of moisture and any leftover moldy smells.

·
Registered
1 Posts
water leak, puddle of water in passenger side foot well

Same problem as UK_EZRA. There was always dampness on the floor and I always thought it was a bad side side mirror repair. Now I see after an unusually hard wind and rain for the first time there's a puddle on the floor and water dripping from the lower vent on the left side of the Blower Motor. Windshield Cowling is a very bad seal and it's always been a bad seal. It can't help but be a bad seal if you change the Pollen Filter every other year. I am confused. Is this a Recall? Do I use Silicone Sealer? Or do I pay an arm and a leg at Ford Repair?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,080 Posts
Same problem as UK_EZRA. There was always dampness on the floor and I always thought it was a bad side side mirror repair. Now I see after an unusually hard wind and rain for the first time there's a puddle on the floor and water dripping from the lower vent on the left side of the Blower Motor. Windshield Cowling is a very bad seal and it's always been a bad seal. It can't help but be a bad seal if you change the Pollen Filter every other year. I am confused. Is this a Recall? Do I use Silicone Sealer? Or do I pay an arm and a leg at Ford Repair?
Here is what I did. Copy and Paste from my build thread. They are inch bends on each side with some cut off. I would say dimensions of 13-16 would be great (inches). It can rain as hard as it wants and I can put the hose right on it and no water gets through and I have as much air coming out of the vents as I did before!

Dont tape it off as you will get no air for anything, including defrosters. Speaking from experience.

I am victorious!!! Tried another prototype for my car leak issue. So far so good. Been on for about 6 hours. A piece of 15"x15" 22 gauge sheet metal. Bent and cut and painted black. Air flow still comes through at full strength now, screw the tape idea. See how it does.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ This is a good modification to get around issues of needing a good unbroken cowling installed exactly right.

·
Registered
16,028 Posts
Yep, just get that hole covered to deflect water but air still gets in and good forever. Basic home roofing #101, look at how the water flows and stop it..................50 ways you can do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi FFs! I'm desperately in need of finding the source of a leak. Unfortunately my pathetic lack of knowledge regarding auto parts terminology is a major hindrance to learning to do these things for myself [???:)]
Where might I find the original of this article in order to view the images &, hopefully, follow these instructions?
Thanks so much!

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If you're talking about pictures to go with the early post of a TSB in this thread, that was made by a member back in '07 and there aren't any working links showing.

End of the thread has working pictures that might help, you might need to view by computer as phones can't always see linked pictures.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts