Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the passenger side near the front I found that I had some wet carpet ( cleaning inside of car on lunch hour )

Anyway, so I move the carpet in the first pic you can see where I put my finger on the carpet, in the later ones see where it was still went but more showed up. Now it was worse but before thinking I cleaned it up real quick ran inside for a camera...doh. But then sure enough more water when I got back.

I've also been having a problem with it getting very cold down by the floor, they had to pull the carpet out once because the people at the dealership messed up the inside of my car( scratched up console, oil on carpet) and I found some padding left out( like heat wrap tape). Anyway, when I have the A/C on 3 or higher I'm getting not just condensation, but water all around the cup holders and lower area near the CD player. So my question is what's up? can anyone help me? This car has been in the shop 7 times ( left off rear insert, bubble in floor, air bag light coming on, paint error on fenders, and the other 3 were to fix their problems caused but their repairs..

So do I have a lemon...a danged silver one....funny I still love the car though lol. I'm taking it to the dealership Tuesday morning but wanted to ask the experts first and see what everyone says here first.

Thank you,

LP

now for pics:

·
Registered
400 Posts
it depends on regulations in your state.here in florida,they have a 3 strikes and you are out policy.but it has to be 3 times on the same issue.may want to go to your state web page,and find out what is considered a lemon vehicle in your state .good luck.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
I actually had that same problem with my Focus... silver too! Maybe it's colour related lol

Anyways, this should be covered by warranty or on the "Fix It" list Ford has... They should fix this for you for free. They will need to add some sort of adapter for the air compressor unit for the A/C to fix the water leak. Good luck with that though [thumb]

Cheers!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Looks to me like the drain is blocked (or not flowing)

·
Registered
182 Posts
did it rain right before you noticed it was wet? my g/f's did the same thing but only when it rained. the dealership changed the black weather strip gaurd right under the winsheild wipers, hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems to me you have a water leak from a windshield or an a-pillar sealing area thats moving down to the carpet (Has the water coincided with any rain) OR Your evaporator box vents are plugged and rather then draining through the tubes to outside of the car it is overflowing into the cabin area.. If its still under warranty just take it in ... It its not in warranty tryed to locate the drain tubes under the vehicle and clean them out ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a year old so still under warranty. It rained cats and dogs last night and the night before with no water at all coming in, was dry as a bone. But once the A/C is on for awhile you can see water start its very slow but after 2 hours or so, it builds up even on low. Again Im going Tuesday so I can deal until then, but Im sure they will go I dont know and try and pass the buck.

Will keep everything updated.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
By all means do keep up with this until its cause is found and fixed. I had a truck tractor do this and I just shrugged it off, but after a year or so the carpet really started to stink. Smelled like rotting fish in the cab. You sure don't want this in your car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I will keep on this, and post back so incase others have this same problem will know whats up. Again, this is cool I come here for help and so many jump in to help a fellow focus owner, very cool.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I second the blocked drain tube vote.

The water you see is coming from the evaporator case. Your evaporator drain tube is clogged, it's an easy fix.

Open your hood and on the passenger side of the car, look for where the two heater hoses go into the firewall. Just below the two heater hoses, there is a small port sticking out (not easy to see, but its about 1 inch below the bottom heater hose)

Once you've found it, fashion a small (less than 3 inch) probe out of a old bic pen or something similar, and prod it in there... you should have a sudden surge of water come gushing out... this is what is supposed to happen, don't panic. You don't need to prod very far, usually just a few inches, and you don't need to push hard. I suppose I should caution you not to get too entheusiastic, as you have a heater core right there that doesn't take much to damage, so err on the side of caution.

A lot of times, bugs (spiders, cockroaches)will enter the car thru that opening, and they will get stuck in there once they die. I see cars with this problem usually once a week or so. We don't even bother charging people to fix it... usually takes 2-3 minutes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool going to check that out, now. Thanks for the tip and the aid. You ever run into a problem with your ignition system where the key gets hot, even after 5 mins is actually hot, same with the cylinder?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked that, no dice. Took a pen cut the ends off making it a tube and taped it to a stick(arm to big to get into area with moving room) , found the hole...took a min or so to find it. Then moved in, no water in hole, part came out dry and clean, went in 3". Don't know now.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I still think its a clog in the evap box... you may need to find a place that will put it on a rack and try unclogging it again.

By your pics, that water is too clear to be rain water, plus the piece you are shooting is the other end of the drain tube you are trying to unclog.

You may need to further in with the probe, just be cautious, and don't jam it in there really hard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I go tomorrow and see whats up, have to be there at 10 am. Im sure your right about it heck your a pro I'll tell them about it, if not I have to figure out how to get under the car and drain it, its a sob to get my arms in that area, I dont want to even mess with anything started working my arm down and said...nope time to rethink this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok just got back, they checked it out, and said that I need a new evaporator case...does that sound right? They will have to pull the dash out and all that....grrr [email protected]!# I hate that. The last time they beeped it up. I asked about the water that was in there on the carpet, they said they will look at it, and see if I need a new pad and will put in a cleaning pad. So is the whole new evaporator case for real or is that a line, could they have messed something up? I know parts have been ordered worry when dealing with the dealership. Oh and thanks again, without the help from here I would not have asked about that.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
That's the same thing that they replaced on mine and they had to remove the entire dash to get it installed. After they installed that, I didn't experience any more water leakage and it's been probably 6 months since I've had it done. But if you still have problems with the water after they install it, I'd be sure to take it back to them and have them look at it further. Good luck.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It makes sense. The evaporator is cold, so when warm, moist air flows over it, water condenses out onto it. This water tehn drips off and is captured by a tray or other collector which then drains it out of the car onto the ground. It sounds like the plastic case around the evaporator also acts as the condensation collector (which makes sense from a cost reduction viewpoint), and is cracked and leaking.

So yes, it does make sense. If it wasn't under warranty, one could probably fix it with some silicon sealer if the leak was visible and in an accessible place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts