Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my cai a few weeks ago and got to drive in the rain for the first time...... not good.
first off, my filter got soaked and if i got on it my car couldnt go past 4500 rpm. Then i decied to put my stock intake on for the winter to see if that would help. now my car cruises up thru the rpm range just fine but when it comes back down it hangs for awhile then drops really slowly to about 3k the drops like normal. Now today driving to work i was cruisin down the freeway and it kept stuttering like it wanted to die... and it could climb a hill in 6th to save its life.... please help[???:)] [???:)] [???:)]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^^^^^Exactly what he said! I have had the same problem. Did ur check engine light come on?? My filter got really wet and sucked up some water to the maf and messed her up, took the maf off and cleaned it then cleaned the filter and reset my ecu! WHAALAA!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks.. no i havnt cleaned the maf.. i disconnected the battery when i changed the intakes.... i check it out then get back to u guys... thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. cleaned the MAF and it didnt help. sounds like its misfiring... gonna pull the plugs tonight and see how they look... any other ideas??

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
when you clean the maf, you need to reset the ecu at the same time. this way the ecu is looking at a clean maf and a new intake.

FIRST disconnect the battery and THEN remove the the MAF. clean the MAF and THEN reconnect the battery.

if this indeed does not help. continue looking at the plugs. if the plugs are ok, you may be looking at a new MAF

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Man...every time I read a horror story like this, I am so glad I got an SRI rather than the CAI so favored around here. If you're real lucky, you haven't caused any engine damage. If the engine now sounds different, after the water incident, you could have bent a rod, or caused a piston to crack. Doesn't take more than a single gulp...

Hope it's just a MAFS. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Engines won't run with holes in pistons and bent rods. The SVT CAI higher than Duratecs. About the same height as your SRS, but behind the wheel if I'm not mistaken. Anyone who puts one one should get a "Pre-Charger" or wrap about 2 panty hose over the filter to repel water. The latter is an old dirt bike trick, and it works without restricting airflow much.

Engines won't run with bent rods and the like. His problem is more likely a bad TPS as a result of low water intake- same as the MAF issue. I need a better description of the problems, and any CEL's to know for sure.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the CEL just came on so ill plug in the predator when i get home... i cleaned the maf and reset the ecu and that didnt help... ill try that again when i get home.... everything sounds alright except for when it cuts out...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Actually they do run with slightly bent rods/cracked pistons.....just not very well and they usually make a knocking sound. I'm not talking about a "U" shaped rod.....just a slight bend. I've had to replace a few blocks because of similar incidents. When water gets in, bad things can happen....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
MAFS + Water = you need a new MAFS.
Trouble shoot all you wish but I got money says that will be the end result.

And there is probably some residual water in the manifold. Rapid vacuum change should suck that through the cylinders, when it misses let it come back to idle, then burp it again.

A little water isn't that bad. But if it's a submersed filter then ya, you will have problems.

btw I ran a half gallon of water through my running engine on purpose yesterday. Cleans the carbon off nicely.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
can u tell me how u ran the water through? im curious bout doing that myself.

to the OP, what did the predator tell u?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still at work... wont get home for a few hours... ill get the predator in then and let u guys know... i hope i dont need a new maf....

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, i searched for you, but couldnt find any for sale. u can always check junk yards tho.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i just checked the codes on the predator and this is wat i got... p0122 p1000 p1120 p1121 p1125.... it says there all tps codes and a maf one..... HELP!!!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
id say u need a new tps...they are cheap, like 15 bucks. could be causing confusion, tossing the mafs code. id replace the tps, see that happens.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts