Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there are a couple things going on. 90% of the time when factory tunes are made they build in a little more than they need to. Not much but a little. That way the variations in components such as a wastegate that doesn't crack open properly won't blow the engine.

On top of that overboost is controlled by the ECM. Overboost gets up to 22psi for some people. My overboost doesn't, it only gets me to 18psi. Adjusting the preload will also keep the gate closed and spool the turbo faster as well as keep the boost from falling off in the upper rpms.

Adjusting the preload is not something that is going to make this car FAST. But it will make it a little easier to drive. I know for me driving this thing in the mountains is rough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well there are a couple things going on. 90% of the time when factory tunes are made they build in a little more than they need to. Not much but a little. That way the variations in components such as a wastegate that doesn't crack open properly won't blow the engine.

On top of that overboost is controlled by the ECM. Overboost gets up to 22psi for some people. My overboost doesn't, it only gets me to 18psi. Adjusting the preload will also keep the gate closed and spool the turbo faster as well as keep the boost from falling off in the upper rpms.

Adjusting the preload is not something that is going to make this car FAST. But it will make it a little easier to drive. I know for me driving this thing in the mountains is rough.

Have you done the adjustment to your wastegate and if so how is doing so far and how many turns did you make. Really interested in upping my boost but not sure how far to turn it so I dont mess my car up lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts