Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Push the washer fluid button on the end of the stalk on my '02 SE wagon and bupkis. No code thrown. Didn't see anything in the archives. Is this a systemic problem? Any ideas besides cleaning the nozzles? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There might be something clogged somewhere in the system.... If you hear the sound when you do it and nothing comes out, then It's not an electrical problem, so it wouldn't throw a code.....

You might want to take the system off and take a look at all the hoses to see if you feel anything blocking them. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FLUID IN THERE TOO!!! haha, not trying to insult your intellegence, but too many times has it happened. Somethings not working, they do all this work to figure out what it was, and turns out they just needed to fill it up or something.

I would check the nozzles too. Maybe they're just Kaputt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I just added fluid. Based on another recommendation I pulled it into the garage on the thought that the fluid could be frozen. New pump is $50, so I'm not looking forward to that, but I'll do what I need to do.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well...... you checked to make sure the line was still attached to the nozzles, right? on my grandma's taurus this happened, and all she got was a lovely engine bath.

I think the only time a code is thrown is when it has to do with mechanical, sensors, airbags, or break ins..... not saying it doesn't though, I just don't know.

I may be in the same boat as you though, it takes a couple tries of pressing on the button to actually get fluid to spray out of the nozzles..... I hope it isn't the pump, either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are only a couple of codes associated with the wiper/washer system and most non-ford scan tools will not pull them, and they will never set a light. The first thing that I would check is disconnect the washer pump motor connector and use a test light WHILE PUSHING THE BUTTON and check if you have power going to the pump. If you do then it is most likely the pump that is at fault, if not it is most likely the multifunction switch (wiper/washer switch coming out of the steering column.) If your wipers work it is not a fuse or the relay (shared by both the wipers and washer.) Other than that it could be wiring, ground or GEM module.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after moving it in to the garage last night, lo and behold, it's fine. Emptied the washer tank, and put in more winter formula. Thanks all for the help.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Add some ammonia to the mix. I generally buy regular washer fluid, then add a cup or two of ammonia. It helps to remove oily road scum, and I don't pay as much for it as I do the blended types.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts