Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through all last winter with -15ish degrees out and did not have any washer nozzle issues.

Went to use them today on the high way (18 degrees out) and they did not spray 100% till I got to work. One started to work 1/2 to work then in the parking lot they both must have thawed out. Good to go now but...

Anyone have a tank, lines, or nozzle freeze too?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Went through all last winter with -15ish degrees out and did not have any washer nozzle issues.

Went to use them today on the high way (18 degrees out) and they did not spray 100% till I got to work. One started to work 1/2 to work then in the parking lot they both must have thawed out. Good to go now but...

Anyone have a tank, lines, or nozzle freeze too?
Yesterday, it was -22°C outside (about -8°F). The driver side was weak for few seconds at start but after that was good (probably ice in the nozzle). I have Rain-X with de-icer.

What kind of fluid do you have ?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That price is insane! Go get a jug at Walmart. The deicing fluid is definitely the way to go though.
Nothing about pricing here, just asked Squad if that was the kind he used.

Of course you can shop around, just used that link as a reference lol

---

Probably go with the Rain-x 2-in one next fill (orange stuff)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You have this kind? http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Windshield-Washer-Fluid-De-Icer/dp/B003VOF6A6

I have OEM VW jugs around from my GTI so I just use that.
Haha, yeah, don't buy "that one"...

I am in Canada, but I bought my fluid at Walmart. I assume it's also available in the US. I paid 8.88$ + tax for a box (box = 4 gallons). It's good up to -40°C which is ... -40°F.

There's also one which is good up to -45°C, one up to -50°C and I think they have one upto -60°C but there's no de-icer in it.

FYI, the orange fluid you posted is good up to -25°F which is -30°C. It's okay/limit, but let me tell you, it's not enough where we live.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Nothing about pricing here, just asked Squad if that was the kind he used.
It was only a comment on the ridiculous price they're charging. Just trying to guide people away from the link if they decide they want the product. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was only a comment on the ridiculous price they're charging. Just trying to guide people away from the link if they decide they want the product. Have a nice day.
Should have used the photo and not the link to prevent confusion. Ya I would never pay that nor expect anyone else too.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, yeah, don't buy "that one"...

I am in Canada, but I bought my fluid at Walmart. I assume it's also available in the US. I paid 8.88$ + tax for a box (box = 4 gallons). It's good up to -40°C which is ... -40°F.

There's also one which is good up to -45°C, one up to -50°C and I think they have one upto -60°C but there's no de-icer in it.

FYI, the orange fluid you posted is good up to -25°F which is -30°C. It's okay/limit, but let me tell you, it's not enough where we live.

Used this before with no issues so might go back to it...

But also might use this (-25) next, will do just fine for my location.

Some of the rain-x washer fluid is hard to find around by me. So I'll shop around.

----

But enough about fluid, back to my main question has anyone have the nozzles freeze on them?

·
Registered
289 Posts
----

But enough about fluid, back to my main question has anyone have the nozzles freeze on them?
I have in more than one vehicle...Focus included. Sub-par washer fluid has always been the culprit...since I almost never use my washer fluid except the winter, I've yet to actually fill mine up. I need rain-X De-Icer but it's such an afterthought that I usually just get a cup of hot water and pour it over the nozzles and along where the lines feed from the tank. Usually works except on the most brutally cold days.

One time though the lack of function was actually due to them being clogged with dirt. I took a pin and dug everything out and they worked well for a while after that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rain/melt water often freezes in the outlet of sprayers, recent use helps avoid to some extent with more fluid staying in that section. (If you haven't used for a while, more likely to have a frozen outlet)

Yet to see any fluid good to the rated temp in the lines even if it doesn't freeze in the bottle.

Love the "DeIcer" type in the Winter, normal "blue water" can freeze on anything but a heated windshield when it's cold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lean over the nozzle and blow into it, just surface ice usually unless you are using cheap weak ass deicer fluid.[dunno]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts