Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2.3 PZEV focus, and when I wash it, i always spray down the engine bay. When I get in after it always cranks for like 5 secs before it starts. What could I possibly be getting wet thats not supposed to? Theres no way im getting watter into the engine with the PZEV intake/filter assembly. Just curious as to what you guys think it could be?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Well first off, spraying the engine is a VERY bad thing. With all the electrical parts on our cars you can screw something up fast. You either need to cover all sensors/wires and fuse boxes, or just use a damp cloth to wipe.

Second, if you read the manual it says you should turn the key to the ON posistion untill you see the numbers on the odometer and then start. IF you are doing that and its still doing it, stop spraying your engine.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
yup. I learned the hard way. Modern cars are a bit more tolerant to it.
when I had my nissan 280zx, I had to disassemble the whole efi system and egr, injectors, and let them dry out for a day. Then I reassembled it and had left-over parts. That was a learned experience.

I just use some spray detergent and rags, and wipe clean.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
IMO you can rinse under there with the hose, I just wouldn't direct the "jet" stream at anything... I usually wash under the hood and rinse it down with the fine mist that comes out of the hose, it should do no harm, it does get wet under there driving in the rain you know...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viney266 said:
IMO you can rinse under there with the hose, I just wouldn't direct the "jet" stream at anything... I usually wash under the hood and rinse it down with the fine mist that comes out of the hose, it should do no harm, it does get wet under there driving in the rain you know...
Thats why I thought that it would be ok. I dont blast any particular part of the engine, just a spray, but i guess ill have to stop cleaning it out then.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
If you guys look in the cleaning section of teh owners manual it says to clean your engine all the time and to not get the intake and battery wet... other than that you can use water just not a direct stream.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wash the engine compartment every time I wash the car. Under the hood looks clean as new and have never had any problems. It is a PZEV also.

I have used the Mr Clean AutoDry for the past year - it works as advertised. The final rinse should be non-conductive if minerals are removed.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Spraying dow the engine bay frequently is a bad idea.

Will it cause problems? Sometimes.

Will not spraying down the engine bay cause problems? Never.

Your choice.

If you're into the cosmetics and appearance, why not just wipe it down with a rag slightly moistened with WD40? That might also reduce rust aibt.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
You will have probs eventually from NEVER cleaning your engine bay I am sure... having grease and crap all over it tends to keep it a little hotter then it normally runs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A clean engine compartment makes early detection of any fluid leaks much easier to find, not to mention the pleasure of working on a clean engine... in my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
simple green, bucket of soapy water, paper towels and shop towels and the all important tool box. thats how i do it :)

take things off so you can get under/behind them, and clean them a little easier. lots of taking things apart and putting em back together

brent

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I usually give it a good washing with just water at the quarter car wash when it needs it, just be careful around the top of the valve cover and the alternator, airbox and TB. You're not going to hurt anything by getting it wet...if you did, you wouldn't be able to drive in the rain or when the roads are wet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I should of done mine today, since I practicly detailed it, for 3 hours...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"You will have probs eventually from NEVER cleaning your engine bay I am sure..."

I've got a 1992 Ford explorer with 196,000 miles on it, never cleaned the engine or engine bay, and only had one problem, leaking valve cover gaskets. Prior to that I had a 1982 Toyota Celica that had 120,000 miles on it before I traded it in on the Explorer. No engine problems at all on that vehicle either.

Excessive cleaning is what leads to corrosion and other problems in the engine bay, not a bit of oily residue on the meatal surfaces.

15 years on the Explorer is enough for me.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
A clean engine is thought to be a cooler engine (opinion). If you live in a less than ideal climate then an annual wash shouldn't hurt. I've done it on a few vehicles and not had problems. For rinsing I always use the mist setting on the hose sprayer. In between washing using a rag and those cheap assed sponge brushes works awesome.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
A clean engine is thought to be a cooler engine (opinion). If you live in a less than ideal climate then an annual wash shouldn't hurt. I've done it on a few vehicles and not had problems. For rinsing I always use the mist setting on the hose sprayer. In between washing using a rag and those cheap assed sponge brushes works awesome.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just use CD-2 Engine Cleaner. You can find it at any AutoZone Parts store and it works really good.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"A clean engine is thought to be a cooler engine (opinion)."

Interesting opinion. Heat transfer is done in one or more of three methods: (a) Radiation, (b) Conduction, and (c) Convection.

Since the best radiator of heat is referred to as a "Black Body," the darker, matt finish of a grimy surface would probabyl be a better radiator of heat than clean bare aluminium. There would be no real impact on conduction, since the conductive heat transfer is almost exclusively between sealed surfaces bolted together.

That leaves convection. While it is possible that a thin coating of grease/grime could result in an insulating effect that would reduce the convective heat flow to the airstream, it would have to be quite thick, IMHO, to have any real impact. So unless you are talking about thick, caked-on layers (in which case there is something else wrong), I do not see any measurable impact.

Now to be sure, I am talking about the engine and general engine bay area cleaning. Obviously, cleaning the radiator of bugs and debris is another thing, and is a very wise thing to do.

But general cleaning of the engine bay and engine itself, particularly with anything that sprays and makes a "fog?" Bad idea. That's how you get moisture into electrical connectors, resulting in corrosion and problems down the road. If one must clean the engine compartment, do it without any water sprays or other misting devices that can get into the wrong cracks, crevices, and other spots, e.g. a wipe-down iwth WD-40 or something similar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts