Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I took my car to ford for a issue with the car dieing when the clutch was pushed in. So they put the flight recorder on and problem found and solved. Well when the first part was put on I didn't have any issues, then all the other parts came in and now I got an issue. After they put the parts on the intake is loud as hell. It has a deep growl sound if the accelerater is pushed quickly to the floor. My quite SVT is now a noisey basterd on acceleration. I checked the intake over and every thing to the dotted i and the crossed t is where it should be accept they replaced every thing from the TB to the air cleaner,all pipeing, clamps, sensors, modules and a DSI component. It all looks identical aside from color its a gray charcoal color now instead of black. And the low end is now present, spooling from 1,200rpm to 7,000 rpm is very consistant. very little boging in the lower rpm range. But the car is louder on the intake than the exhaust now.
Has any body had this work done on there car?
Is every ones SVT this loud?
The only thing I don't like about the work they did was the fact that the intake is twice as loud as my exhaust.
A: Obvious sulution here is to get a louder exhaust.
B: get the short ram and deal with it being loud.
C: Deal with the stock settup being loud and turn up the radio to drowned it out.
What do you guys think I should do?
Tell me what you would do in this case, speak freely.
Oh yah I don't like loud cars, period. I like them so quite that you could have the hood up standing over the engine and not realize it was running till the fan turned on to cool it down, That quite.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
personally, I'd rather hear my intake than exhaust. I haven't been having any driveability issues, but I do have a health growl from my stock intake. I dont' mind it, cuz I'd rather hear a growl than a long drawn out fart.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
crazymechanic said:
personally, I'd rather hear my intake than exhaust. I haven't been having any driveability issues, but I do have a health growl from my stock intake. I dont' mind it, cuz I'd rather hear a growl than a long drawn out fart.
Hah

I think your best bet is to get a different intake if you don't want to hear it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'd take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. First, it doesn't meet you expectations for noise. Second, who the hell knows what is causing the problem. It would really suck to have something that fails down the road and costs you more money to fix. Take it back and have them work on it until you are satisfied.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Did they forget to put the "silencer" on?
It's the little "S" shaped piece that comes from the airbox, and sits right next to the windshield washer reservoir.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WD40 yes all components are in place on the entire intake. I even got a second on that from Cell. It's the same sound it would make with it removed and then some. Thats the first thing I thought when I first heard it and started to check it over with a fine tooth cumb. I pulled the air box apart to check it all over even, and it's all there, even down to the dust left over from Iron Mt. It's just loud now for some reason. I don't know if the dealer will warranty the sound of my, intake thats kinda of why I hesitate to take it back. Its to me the equivalant of the new car smell, they just wont cover it under warranty. Im unsure I guess what to do now. Thats why I ask if any one else has the same issue or is the car suppose to be naturally this loud.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Hmmm.
That does sound odd. (pun intended)
Did they change the DSI to switch at 5,000 vs 6,000?
IIRC, you already had that done.
However, even with the switch changing, it doesn't really explain why it's loud from the get-go.

I'm just as curious as you are now.[???:)]

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, you are saying your induction is now a charcoal color insted of black. Im very curious to see this, could you please post a picture?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I am going to be taking my SVT to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at my intake. Only 700 miles and the cover is cracked (pretty good size) and can suck up air without going through the filter. I didn't touch the intake at all! Good thing I noticed it when I was installing my stereo!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah the YRFO was done last year some time. They did change a part on the DSI portion of the intake. But that wouldn't make any difference one would think. The throttle body and a plate between the TB are dark gray/black. Now that I think about that, Is there suppose to be a plate seperateing the TB and the Intake(where the TB screws to the intake?).The rubber tube that connects the air box to the TB is the original but the part between the tube and the Air box is the gray color. The two sensors connected on the intake a different not by color, It's the fact that there glossy black instead of the flat color black. Man I hope this makes since.

I'll get a pic in a little while, It's raining out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toolman00, If they replace the part let me know if the parts that they put on your car are gray in color. I'm kinda curious to find out if this is a new part color or if they are useing different parts on my car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'll be sure to let everybody know. Personally, I hope it stays black. I'd like to keep everything stock color, until I decide what to do under the hood.

Oh yeah, before I forget. They had to order a whole intake assembly to fix the broken cover.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah I wanted the same thing. But I can tell you that these parts on this car are worth the noise under the hood. Drove it tonight and damn as if the car couldn't have been any more fun to drive and now it's even better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts