Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I have someone other than the ford dealership do my oil changes and other routine service,does this affect the warranty? Even if I keep receipts/records?

·
Registered
110 Posts
i should not affect your warrenty. i know its not ford but i worked for gm for about 3 years and had no problem with anything like that if the service was done right.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx paulie....dealerships here in VA want a fortune for a basic oil change...can't see spending a good 45mins to an hour at a dealership for oil change and then paying out the nose for it....

·
Registered
171 Posts
or you could go even further and change ur on in 15 minutes for a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't know how...and don't want to learn or the hubby will have me out there changing his too...he'd rather pay for someone to do it so he can watch football/baseball/nascar etc...I get the honor of taking the cars for oil changes now as it is[mad]

·
Registered
110 Posts
i prefer to change it myself. i had a friend who used to work at one of those quick lube shops, and he quit because people would ask for a certain kind of oil and not get it. like me, i like to use mobil 1. thats what my car has had in it since i had 14 miles on the car, and if i pay for the mobil 1 i want to know i got it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like the quick lubes either....I've had too many problems with then, oil cap not on tight, filter not changed when it should have been etc...my brother in law is a mechanic and I used to take to him but he's so far out it's kind of inconvenient....

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
http://myzx3.com/how-to/oilchange.htm

tell your husband to get off his lazy ass put the remote down and save the family some money! reward him with some beer and im sure hell do all the cars instead of you doing them. say your husband isn't a "tough guys" lol they sell oil filter wrenches but he should be able to just twist it off with some force. or you take a screwdriver and stab it threw the ****in filter and twist it off. it'll give him extra leverage. your welcome[wiggle] [thumb]

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice focus mike....although I agree with u that he is lazy about the oil, I must say he is very good about other things..he does laundry (family of 4), trash detail, takes care of the dogs, keeps the yard up...well, u get the picture...I think he hates the whole mechanic thing because he used to work on planes in the marine corps and figures it's someone elses turn to do it...and as long as he's paying for the oil changes, I'll take the cars because I always have to have lunch while I'm out [:D]

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
ok so he probably does know how to then i thought he didn't know how. well im just trying to help out my people. ; )
hey i cant do laundry maybe he can teach me! LMFAO! and ill break down the oil thing for him!

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I bought my Focus, the service writer told me that if anyone else other than Ford changed the oil, it would void the warranty. I have been buying cars for 13 years and Ive never had a dealer tell me that[mad]

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
my dealer wants 135 bux for an oil change. at landmark ford <place i adopted faith from the orphange they give me 2 years free maintance on my car. all i pay for is gas hehehehe suckaz! now say i didn't have any mechanical skill i would be quite upset about 135 bux for an oil change i told the service d00d mike why is it so expensive his fat ass is like "well cause im gonna be a fat cat and retire at 30yrs. old" okay no thats not what he said he said cause a dealership charges minimum 105 bux labor work even if we are in the shop for 15 minutes on your car you get charged an hour???then oil and filter is like 27 bux plus tax.

now if i paid that much the least mike the service do0d could do is hand out little packets of vasaline. : )

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
focus mike said:
ok so he probably does know how to then i thought he didn't know how. well im just trying to help out my people. ; )
hey i cant do laundry maybe he can teach me! LMFAO! and ill break down the oil thing for him!
I'll see what I can do about working this out for ya...and thanks for the help.[clap]..

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Did u get the 5 free ones? I still have one left. And here the oil change is $35 to $45. I will start doing my own in the summer, I also do my husband's truck. Way easy to do. I find it fun. But my dealership never said it will void.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
5000 mile for me = 76 bucks at Hayward Ford

ouch!! around me all the dealers are trying to compete with the quick change stores, so there prices are around $21-$24 at the dealer. I still wouldn't have them do it though.. i did it once and wonder if they changed it. They had a sheet that says all they did.. like check the oil pressure. They didn't do that I know because I checked it after they were done.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
How can anyone pay that much for an oil change? Thats a total rip off. I'm glad I do it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts