Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2012 Focus that's out of warranty now. Problem is that I was having issues with my key fob for months prior to it going out of warranty. The battery kept on dying. I'd bring it to the dealership, and they'd replace the battery. A month later it would be dead again.

This happened 3 or 4 times, the final time the car was almost out of warranty. I told them the problem seemed to be with the key itself, since it was re-occurring, but they didn't have any record of me getting the battery replaced repeatedly, and they wanted to try it one more time. Like a sucker, I let them. Sure enough it was dead in a month or so, but now I'm out of warranty and they're refusing to help me in any way.

So, my question is, do I have grounds to raise a stink about this? When you have issues with the car that exist before your warranty goes out, should you be able to demand that they get fixed after the warranty end date? The guy I spoke to today told me this was standard behaviour for them, that it would be the same for any other problem that re-occurred after the end of warranty.

Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if anyone has any advice for how exactly to approach this with them, or with Ford, I'd much appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's always a good idea to get every service record on paper. This way you can show there was an issue.

I don't believe ford is required to fix issues after the fact but if you can prove (with service records) that it was an ongoing issue they will usually fix the problem. Ford dealers also get a set amount of money from ford, based on dealer warranty performance, to fix out of warranty issues for the customer for free. In this case it is like a warranty claim in that ford corporate pays for the repair.

Surely one of the service reps will along shortly to help you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes a service rep here should be able to assist.
As far as I understand. Yes a DOCUMENTED service problem discovered before the warranty is up should be covered afterwards. (at least for a 'reasonable' time period. I doubt a resurfacing of a problem years later would be covered)

Apparently you have no documentation.
I would say fork out the cash for a new OEM fob and add it to the car while you have two original working fobs.
Then put aside your not so good fob.

Though perhaps the service rep here can assist your quest to have Ford cover an item they should have covered with more than a battery replacement. A dealer cannot just make Ford cover some out of warranty part. (even if the dealer wanted to) But the service rep here might smooth that so it can happen?
(Plus the dealer service department does not care about your goodwill enough to do it anyway.. If you bought more than one car there.. you might try the New Car Manager... Bend HIS ear on it.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know that this is an issue worth pursuing too far. Like Elizabeth said, if there is no documentation you were in for the fix multiple times and they confirmed each time there was an issue, it will be difficult to get them to fix it (again).

You might have a case if you can convince the service manager this problem was something that should have been fixed correctly the first time. (Correctly meaning that they gave you a new fob).

In your situation, I would probably just stock up on a few batteries and if you get tired enough of changing them, just get a brand new fob and be done with it. Of course, though, that's my opinion and it's always worth seeing what the reps here can do for you.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Brand new fob cost me (near 300$ from dealer) last week

200$ for the fob
80 $ programming (of course I didn't have a second key to program it myself)
8$ side-milling key cutting (high security version)

Plus taxes 320 ish !! (CDN tho but still expensive in USD)

That's why I called them Stealership !

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Brand new fob cost me (near 300$ from dealer) last week

200$ for the fob
80 $ programming (of course I didn't have a second key to program it myself)
8$ side-milling key cutting (high security version)

Plus taxes 320 ish !! (CDN tho but still expensive in USD)

That's why I called them Stealership !
That's crazy

·
Registered
758 Posts
If it is just the fob that is the issue and it's no longer covered under warranty. Just get a car starter intalled. You can lock/unlock, open trunk with the fobs that come with the remote start. Installed a car started is about $130...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my 2013 Escape where the batteries in both key fobs would not last for more than a week.

After going through several batteries in both my normal key and spare I went to the dealer. first time, they swapped the batteries and noted it and reprogrammed the keys to the car.

4 days later I was back in and the same tech remembered me - they did a bit of digging (this is what happened - I don't get the logic) and there was an update for the car.

waited at the dealership for 95 minutes while the update was applied - have not had an issue since. (about 7 months now).

If you'd like when i get home I can look for the service slip and see what else it detailed exactly...

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's always a good idea to get every service record on paper. This way you can show there was an issue.
Surely one of the service reps will along shortly to help you.

Good luck!
Yes a service rep here should be able to assist.
Hey blazerdude20 and Elizabeth,

Thank you both for letting our fellow member know of my presence here! [:)] I appreciate it!

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 Focus that's out of warranty now. Problem is that I was having issues with my key fob for months prior to it going out of warranty. The battery kept on dying. I'd bring it to the dealership, and they'd replace the battery. A month later it would be dead again.

This happened 3 or 4 times, the final time the car was almost out of warranty. I told them the problem seemed to be with the key itself, since it was re-occurring, but they didn't have any record of me getting the battery replaced repeatedly, and they wanted to try it one more time. Like a sucker, I let them. Sure enough it was dead in a month or so, but now I'm out of warranty and they're refusing to help me in any way.

So, my question is, do I have grounds to raise a stink about this? When you have issues with the car that exist before your warranty goes out, should you be able to demand that they get fixed after the warranty end date? The guy I spoke to today told me this was standard behaviour for them, that it would be the same for any other problem that re-occurred after the end of warranty.

Thanks for any input on this.
Also if anyone has any advice for how exactly to approach this with them, or with Ford, I'd much appreciate it.

Hi jpenns,

My name is Nikki. I'm the Ford Canada customer service rep here. Send over your current odometer reading and preferred dealer; I'll check out available options. [8D]

Nikki
Ford Service CA

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Nikki. Do I need a precise reading, or a photo? I'm just not with the car right now, but it's just over 60k kms. The dealership I've been dealing with is Capital Ford Lincoln on Empress St., Winnipeg.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thank you Nikki. Do I need a precise reading, or a photo? I'm just not with the car right now, but it's just over 60k kms. The dealership I've been dealing with is Capital Ford Lincoln on Empress St., Winnipeg.
No worries. I'll work with your approximation, and we'll update it to the exact number when it's available. :) Send me a private message with your full name, phone number, and VIN; I'll check out available options on my end.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts