Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally hit the 36,000 mile marker and all that's left is the powertrain warranty. So, I'm thinking what kind of mods do I want to do and how serious do I want to go? I'm torn because I want to mod it but the stock driving and reliability is something I enjoy a lot. I've been contemplating (as cash allows) what different courses I could take and came up with the following;

1. Stay NA and do the basics such as programmer/tune, Random Tech cat pipe, FS UDP, MSD coil/wires, plugs, FS Cool Flow, and maybe a CFM tb. At a minimum, I'm thinking FS Cool Flow and tune.

2. Going with a nice 50-75 ZEX wet shot N2O system.

3. Lastly, I'd love to go FI like on my stang and while I've had great success with the Vortech's, I'm actually leaning towards a Jackson or ATI. This is primarily because of some of the stories I've followed about the difficulty of getting a Vortech system on the Foci. Please feel free to correct me if this is not true.

So, going with the NA route or the N2O route, I'd have an easier time making either of those a reality financially. I've always wanted to know what it feels like to run the SPRAY. I've only had experience with NA built motors and FI via a blower.

Granted, I know that my 3 scenarios aren't exactly a fair comparison but they are my choices. The N2O is really calling me since its there only when I want it and gives that added kick that NA just isn't going to get me with bolt-ons.

This is a daily driver so, I'd like to know what others opinions are or even their personal experiences have been. Thanks.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to “SVT Performance Chat”...

If you really want some good info on the Nitrous, ask your question in the "Forced Induction" forums.

And...Welcome to the 36,000+ club. [thumb]
I'd definitely look into the Diablo or SCT for your car.
Whether you decide to go NA of FI, the tuner will still be highly useful for either application. [;)]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WD40 for getting me in the correct forum and for the advice. I've heard so much about the tuners/tunes but wonder how much difference at the wheels can a customer tune make on an NA vehicle? I know how much it does for FI. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy my nitrous set-up, have run countless amounts through the engine, with no problems.

A tune will help N/A, but it's not gonna be an instant burst of new power, more of a cleaning up of the available power. The tuner will help if you are planning to use a nitrous tune. (I don't use a nitrous tune, but I have an adjustable timing retard set-up, eliminating the need for a special tune just for spraying)

If you spend the money on the safety features, you won't have to worry about daily driving the car. I drove 80 miles a day with mine, raced every week, and occaisionally "tested" the spray on the street.

Now my drive to work is much shorter, Hurray!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott_SVT said:
I thoroughly enjoy my nitrous set-up, have run countless amounts through the engine, with no problems.

A tune will help N/A, but it's not gonna be an instant burst of new power, more of a cleaning up of the available power. The tuner will help if you are planning to use a nitrous tune. (I don't use a nitrous tune, but I have an adjustable timing retard set-up, eliminating the need for a special tune just for spraying)

If you spend the money on the safety features, you won't have to worry about daily driving the car. I drove 80 miles a day with mine, raced every week, and occaisionally "tested" the spray on the street.

Now my drive to work is much shorter, Hurray!
Glad to hear it. So, what brand/system of N2O are you using and how much of a hit? Have you had it dyno'd to see how much it makes? I have a friend who ran N2O on his mustang and while the HP wasn't all that impressive the torque almost tripled!!! He was using a really conservative 75 shot dry hit ; which, I've been told isn't as aggressive as a wet shot.

As long as you've been running yours without any problems, I don't see any reason then why I wouldn't be able to do it. Did you get the accessories such as bottle blanket, bottle heater, purge kit, and remote opener? I know that the initial N2O purchase is pretty reasonable until you start adding all the accessories. Well, I appreciate the advice and would love it if you'd share a picture of your setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have...

NX Wet Kit with 75 shot (Shark NOzzle type)
Compucar Purge kit
MSD digital rpm window switch
Cold Fusion pressure activated bottle heater
NOS remote bottle opener
Crane Ignition with 'On demand' timing retard controller and electronic trigger
10 lb NOS bottle w/high flow valve
CFM fuel line adapter for easy installation
various custom switches for a sleek control system (purge, master arm and bottle opener)
NOS pressure guage mounted near solenoids
A homemade floor support that allows my spare tire cover to lay flat, and still be used for cargo. It gives me a very "sneaky" edge

There's a couple of pics in my gallery, I'll hunt around in my comp for any more I might have and post them later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott_SVT said:
I have...

NX Wet Kit with 75 shot (Shark NOzzle type)
Compucar Purge kit
MSD digital rpm window switch
Cold Fusion pressure activated bottle heater
NOS remote bottle opener
Crane Ignition with 'On demand' timing retard controller and electronic trigger
10 lb NOS bottle w/high flow valve
CFM fuel line adapter for easy installation
various custom switches for a sleek control system (purge, master arm and bottle opener)
NOS pressure guage mounted near solenoids
A homemade floor support that allows my spare tire cover to lay flat, and still be used for cargo. It gives me a very "sneaky" edge

There's a couple of pics in my gallery, I'll hunt around in my comp for any more I might have and post them later.
Scott -

Very slick system you have there. I love the stealth factor with the bottle. As for your choice in N2O systems, I know that NX is spoken of highly as being true to its claims of HP output. If, I remember correctly they are the only N2O company to measure their jets at RWHP/FWHP power. I like their stuff; however, for ease of install and simplicity, I'm looking into the ZEX system myself for the nitrous route. I gotta hand it to you, you did it right by getting all the accessories.

Have you had it on the dyno to see what she spits out? I'm dying to see the torque numbers that you're making. Any problem going up against blower/turbo cars in our category?

Well, I appreciate you sharing your pics with me. Any advice on where to get a good price on a nitrous kit? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nope, haven't dyno'd it yet, although I might be taking a road trip near Tom's place in a couple of weeks, so if I know for sure I'll have an extra day or so, I may see if I can set up something while I'm there.

I bought my NX stuff via ebay, shopped for a decent deal, bid on one and won it (after bidding on several others and losing) I ended up getting the solenoids, purge, bottle opener lines and nozzle from one guy, and another bottle opener from another. (good thing, since I've already fried one)
All the rest of the stuff I bought new from various vendors (Crane, Summitt, Cold Fusion, CFM)

The Zex kit sounds easier for those that don't have a background in wiring, but I had heard their solenoids aren't as dependable, so I chose to design and wire my own set-up with probably more controls and features than they offer. I'm a career auto-technician with lots of experience with circuitry, though, so it wasn't that formidable a task.

I've been up against a turbo'd ZX3 that claimed 275WHP and bested him only slightly, but if he had been on drag radials I think he would have gotten me, I had a better launch than him, but he nearly caught me at the top end of the track. (13.8 with 2.0xx for me, 14.1 with 2.1xx for him, and his MPH was higher, but I don't remember by how much... I can't find that slip anywhere right now)

Other than that, I've only raced a few N/A Foci, most times when there are several of us out there, the N/A guys pit against each other and I get stuck looking for other victims (mustangs, unsuspecting GTI's, poorly driven STI's and EVO's, etc..) I don't win them all, but I shock a lot of them..lol

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Scott_SVT, I LOVE your setup. I'm planning on juicing mine up within a year, and I'd be very interested in getting some more info on how you wired your system. How much did you end up paying for everything?

03_SVT foci: If the reason for you not wanting to mod before you hit 36K miles is that you didn't want to void your warranty, aren't you worried about voiding the powertrain warranty with any of the mods you listed?

Anyway, that being said, I think Nitrous is the way to go. THat, or a good used turbo or s/c setup that I see listed on the parts forum. I think Tom has a nice one for sale right now for only $1500.00. Just keep in mind that based on what I've been told, after you buy everything you need for a safe nitrous run (bottle warmer, RPM window switch, fuel cutoff switch, etc.) you're looking at around $1K in parts.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you include the Crane unit (which I only bought for the timing retard feature) I spent 2k or so on my set-up.

But, that includes all the incedentals, (wire, switches, connectors, relays, brackets etc...)

With that $1500 turbo, you still need to spend a chunk of money on a dyno tune, piping, flasher, and any other safety devices you want to install.

I like my setup, and I like the ability to turn it off when I don't need it. I also like the ability to turn it ON in less than 3 seconds (no reflash required)

Black&Tan, you can search my posts and find a lot of details about my set-up, including a few homemade wiring diagrams, and parts lists. If you need anything beyond that, feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to help

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black&Tan said:
03_SVT foci: If the reason for you not wanting to mod before you hit 36K miles is that you didn't want to void your warranty, aren't you worried about voiding the powertrain warranty with any of the mods you listed?

Anyway, that being said, I think Nitrous is the way to go. THat, or a good used turbo or s/c setup that I see listed on the parts forum. I think Tom has a nice one for sale right now for only $1500.00. Just keep in mind that based on what I've been told, after you buy everything you need for a safe nitrous run (bottle warmer, RPM window switch, fuel cutoff switch, etc.) you're looking at around $1K in parts.
Well, the answer to your first question is "NOPE." [:D] Not bothered about the powertrain warranty. I'll deal with that if and when it comes time.

As for the cost factor of nitrous, I realize how quickly it can add up but its really no different than going with a blower or turbo. The initial investment is usually cheaper and then adds up with accessories but then again, I have a blower on my mustang it needed accessories and tuning also. So, it ALL adds up. I'm not a 100% sure about which power adder but, I've experienced the blower route and think nitrous might be the way to go with the Foci. It will eventually all boil down to money. [:(]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott_SVT said:
Nope, haven't dyno'd it yet, although I might be taking a road trip near Tom's place in a couple of weeks, so if I know for sure I'll have an extra day or so, I may see if I can set up something while I'm there.

I bought my NX stuff via ebay, shopped for a decent deal, bid on one and won it (after bidding on several others and losing) I ended up getting the solenoids, purge, bottle opener lines and nozzle from one guy, and another bottle opener from another. (good thing, since I've already fried one)
All the rest of the stuff I bought new from various vendors (Crane, Summitt, Cold Fusion, CFM)

The Zex kit sounds easier for those that don't have a background in wiring, but I had heard their solenoids aren't as dependable, so I chose to design and wire my own set-up with probably more controls and features than they offer. I'm a career auto-technician with lots of experience with circuitry, though, so it wasn't that formidable a task.

I've been up against a turbo'd ZX3 that claimed 275WHP and bested him only slightly, but if he had been on drag radials I think he would have gotten me, I had a better launch than him, but he nearly caught me at the top end of the track. (13.8 with 2.0xx for me, 14.1 with 2.1xx for him, and his MPH was higher, but I don't remember by how much... I can't find that slip anywhere right now)

Other than that, I've only raced a few N/A Foci, most times when there are several of us out there, the N/A guys pit against each other and I get stuck looking for other victims (mustangs, unsuspecting GTI's, poorly driven STI's and EVO's, etc..) I don't win them all, but I shock a lot of them..lol
Scott -

Get that thing dyno'd and share your results. [:D] As for the ZEX quality and all, I don't know a whole lot about the wiring and solenoids but know of several folks with mustangs running their kits without any complaints thus far. Anyway, I'm probably not as auto/mechanically inclined as you are being that I work on computers/networks all day. I'll run some CAT5 but don't know anything about running lines to solenoids,LOL.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If you include the Crane unit (which I only bought for the timing retard feature) I spent 2k or so on my set-up.

But, that includes all the incedentals, (wire, switches, connectors, relays, brackets etc...)

With that $1500 turbo, you still need to spend a chunk of money on a dyno tune, piping, flasher, and any other safety devices you want to install.
I think when I go N20, I def. want to do your setup. I love the timing retard feature that you have going on. I think it's brilliant! Do you run high octane gas and have the timing set forward when running without the nitrous? Best of both worlds!

Oh, and Cat5 is geekspeak for networking cable ;)

I'm in the same boat as the computer guy who posted, btw. I built my own computer, but I don't know crap about electrical stuff. I managed to wire up my fogs and my XM radio receiver behind the dash, but past that... i got nothing ;)

looks like i'll have to take on a copycat SCOTT_SVT project to learn me.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Black&Tan said:
I think when I go N20, I def. want to do your setup. I love the timing retard feature that you have going on. I think it's brilliant! Do you run high octane gas and have the timing set forward when running without the nitrous? Best of both worlds!
Yeah, the timing advance is bumped up (Wayne's street tune) I still run 93 octane, but add a gallon or so of 110 at the track just for giggles.. It's definataly the best of both worlds, plus even if I somehow trigger the nitrous by mistake, the retard is instant.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i vote option 1 and 2. and have a nitrous tune. and whenever you take it to the track, when u et there, flash it over, and run the n2o tune, and then, flip it back when ur done kickin ass. that may be my route.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice to see you modding your car.

Not to flame or get flamed,but why do people wait till there warranty is up to mod?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^mainly in case there is a repair that normally would have been covered under the warranty, but the dealer tries to get out of doing due to a 'related' modification.

In theory, the dealer would have to PROVE that the mod caused the breakdown, but in actuality, most places will throw so much red-tape at you, you will give up.

I did very few mods before my warranty expired, but since I only had the car for 3 months before the warranty expired for time, it wasn't too long of a wait.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts