Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey gang, I bought my SVTF in january and i've been contemplating the myriad ways in which I can blow it up since. ;-)
mine is one of 87, the '04 CD silver Euro, and I planned on tuning it as my fun little everyday rocket

but first and foremost, I'd like to point out that I have in fact done a good bit of homework on tuning, also having bought HaynesXtreme Sport Compact Performance and studied it cover to cover. While I don't claim to be an expert by any means, I'm pretty sure i can keep up with most of the pro tuners here, as long as you spare me the lesser-known acronyms =p

are there any issues/problems with bolting a 2.3L up to the 6-spd trans in the 04's?
I'd like to keep the original engine intact. as such, if I'm buying a new engine for it, I might as well consider intermediate options & try to fit as much reliable umph under the hood as possible..

I've considered a large number of FI options, and even a couple combinations, and basically my target power range will be around 400hp, or at least i'd like to build the rest of the car up to handle that kind of power. ultimately I'm leaning toward SC so that I don't have to worry about heat management as much, and if anyone has more advanced input to offer on TC vs SC, OUTSIDE OF HEAT VS LAG arguements, i'd love to hear it. I like the powerworks SC reviews but the power payoff isn't quite what i'm looking for...how difficult/practical would it be to mod the kit for more boost? are there more powerful SC kit options for either the 2.0 or 2.3L? i'd go with a more popular motor like the ecotec, but c'mon...that spoils all the fun, not to mention creates a plethora or other issues

what would be the recommended drivetrain reinforcements in order to handle ~350-400whp? it would also be handy to know what kind of load I can safely put on the parts initially designated to only handle 170hp, despite the fact that they considered OEM boost (was that even reflected in the OEM parts used on the SVT's?)

what is the general maximum tire clearance on the stock SVT suspension and body kit? I'd like to go to 18's, but I would like extra width for traction just as much. has anyone out there successfully fit 225/40/18's? or is that going to require a lift/mod? (yes, I reviewed the sticky specsheet for focus tire sizes). I'm also thinking about going with the cervini body kit later on, which doesn't come with new fenders for added clearance.
what suspension upgrades are strongly recommended over the SVT setup? i've already had two issues with the suspension and the trans mount once, so I'm looking for the real sturdy stuff for a realistic price.

and finally has anyone had a 'grumbling' noise coming from their 6-spd when engaging the clutch under load? -or- does anyone know what would cause that noise? i tried to take it in to get looked at under warranty, but they tried telling me that it's most likely the clutch making the noise and wouldn't investigate it since it's a "wearable part", and i've had plenty enough manual trans' (and worn enough clutches) to believe something else may be making the noise.

worry not, ff's - i'll be sure to pester you just as often as any other newb (if not more), but i'm pretty sure my questions will be trickier...they usually are. =p

right now everything is still stock 'cept the audio, and i'm in the planning stages as far as everything i want to do to this car, so i'd love to hear from those of you with plenty of experience on this one, since i'm looking to do this right so that it reliably gives those cocky wrx'ers a nice little wake up call ;-)

looking forward to the feedback, please try to keep it positive
thanks in advance guys, i've browsed the boards and so far (with one or two exceptions) you seem like a great crowd...glad to be here.

-Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, if your looking for 350-400 HP, I'd say your MUCH better off going turbo. You will receive a ton more torque than the S/C will give you and will be very upgradeable to your power needs. I'd say get yourself some low comp pistons and a turbo kit, some really good tuning, a whole lotta fuel and turn up the boost. :)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sorry, the 2.3 is a Duratec engine and will not go where the Zetec is. There is a stroker kit out there though if you want to go that route. Totally different beast. You can run 18"s on her. Use 215/35/18 tires with a rim thats 18x7.5" with a 40mm offset. This package works really well when lowered, check my gallery.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evan_Murphy said:
Well, if your looking for 350-400 HP, I'd say your MUCH better off going turbo. You will receive a ton more torque than the S/C will give you and will be very upgradeable to your power needs. I'd say get yourself some low comp pistons and a turbo kit, some really good tuning, a whole lotta fuel and turn up the boost. :)
yeah, I know turbo would be the easy route, but I'd really like to avoid having to rebuild the entire engine compartment in order to manage the heat from a turbo =\
notably however, the Cervini body kit i'm looking at does feature fender vents in addition to the scoops on the hood and fascia design that better supports intercooler placement, so it's not completely out of the question...just a matter of preference.
I guess I'm mostly curious what kind of max power gain I can expect from a supercharger kit on that front.

·
Registered
104 Posts
DarwinSays said:
yeah, I know turbo would be the easy route, but I'd really like to avoid having to rebuild the entire engine compartment in order to manage the heat from a turbo =\
notably however, the Cervini body kit i'm looking at does feature fender vents in addition to the scoops on the hood and fascia design that better supports intercooler placement, so it's not completely out of the question...just a matter of preference.
I guess I'm mostly curious what kind of max power gain I can expect from a supercharger kit on that front.
Heat isn't as big as an issue as you think, if the manifold/turbo/downpipe are coated or heat wrapped you should be fine. You could even go as far as a vented hood if you are concerned.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
plus its a good excuse to get a evo hood

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if your gonna swap engines out, grab a regular zetec, throw some stronger internals into it, get a nice head for it and turbo it. Heck, might as well throw a mtx75 in there too, it's a better drag transmission, and there are more parts available for it (gears, LSD's, clutches)

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, if you're going to swap the engine at least swap it for a better engine (Duratec) or build the internals. Don't downgrade to a regular Zetec...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i've been doing more homework, and I guess i'll be going with a turbo after all, especially since i found the post about the STS Turbos...those are pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
jr_psychologist said:
No, if you're going to swap the engine at least swap it for a better engine (Duratec) or build the internals. Don't downgrade to a regular Zetec...
how is it downgrading? There are more cheaper parts for the zetec to make it better than a built 2.3 for cheaper. The Zetec is a stout motor for a turbo overhaul. Just because the displacement is larger on the 2.3 doesn't make it better.

My opinion about 4 cyl and superchargers is why? lol. They make quick boost, yes. They have an awesome sound, yes, but so does a turbo. But with an SC whether it be centrifugal or roots, it takes power to make power. And the more boost you go, the harder your engine has to work to make that boost. A turbo allows your motor to free up a lot of power and run lower boost but make the same power if not more than the SC.

Don't be worried about heat. Have you seen the Hellion turbo kits for the 03-04 cobras? They mount the turbo right in front of the motor up high. Most of you would say that is ludicrous and would melt small women and children. But it won't and hasn't...and that kit has made the most power and torque off a single turbo for a STOCK 03 cobra motor (around 800+hp and 750+ ftlbs of torque at only 24psi). A large 76mm on an 03 cobra motor will make more radiant heat than a smaller turbo being used on a 4-banger. And if you mount it below the location of the head, most of the heat will dissapate under the engine bay and not over around the engine bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts