Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--

I bought a 2005 SES ZTW about a month ago and it's been great. It only came with one set of keys, so I bought a couple on eBay and took them to the local dealer for programming.

On the way home, the emerg brake light, ABS light, and another brake system-related light came on intermittently. Switching keys didn't eliminate the problem. I took the car back to the service department and was told by the mechanic that he'd never known key programming to cause this problem.

The mechanic checked the codes and told me that the sensor wasn't responding at all. He thought that the problem was due to slushy road conditions and unrelated to the keys.

Has anyone else experienced electrical problems after key programming? I'm planning to take the car back to the dealer I purchased it from because he knows the car, rather than take it to the Ford dealership again.

Thanks for your help
Terabyte

·
Registered
69 Posts
It could be as simple as the car is just low on brake fluid. It may not be related to the key at all. Post back with your findings.
Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today the weather is clear and cold and the warning lights aren't coming on at all.

It must have been moisture on the sensor causing the error. I did have to drive through some deep snow and slush yesterday and also noticed the idle speed slowing more than normal.

Will post again if I find out otherwise.

Thanks
Terabyte

·
Registered
10 Posts
Focus keys

Interesting info about the Focus key programming. I'd like to disable the necessity to use programmed keys--can that be done?

A Ford service manager told me that once in a blue moon the programmed keys quit working. I don't want this to happen to me, especially if I'm out in the boondocks.

Does anybody know how to do this, or know definitely that it can't be done?

Thanks for any info.

Regards, signman

·
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!
4,184 Posts
make sure the codes were gone... a lot of the times the light goes off once its read and hten the code is still there.... i would get it checked again just to make sure

·
Registered
425 Posts
Signman - AFAIK, there's no way to disable the PATS system, which is actually another good reason to have more than one key -- in case the transponder chip dies in one of them.

leh0825 - Whoa, man... did you check the date before you posted??

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
ROTFL holy thread revive Batman

eh might aswell answer it

Pats cannot be disabled, it can only be bypassed with a cheater device ( thats all I'm saying sorry I'm not contributing to the populous that wants there cars to be easily stolen)

The codes that are stored that do NOT turn on the CEL/MIL are "PENDING" codes that means they will be stored for a set number of vehicle starts and successful test on the part/sensor that triggered it in the first place.. if it fails more then 3 times in the set number of times then that code will turn the check engine on...

codes that do not set the light off are not necessarily codes with faults thats why I leave the pending codes on my car to let them run there course.. if the fault was just the one time the computer will auto erase it/them

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah.... even if the PCM gets a sensor reading that would prompt a DTC, it waits for it to happen on the next trip before it throws a code and lights up a MIL.

I assume it went away, Feral, since it's been 10 months w/o update since you posted this??

[hihi]

·
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!
4,184 Posts
ooops thot that post before mine was the same as OP... my bad... maybe it will help on a search!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
HAHHAHAH Don't Blame me SignMan revived it.. I wasn't about to delete all the crap I wrote after slamming my head on the desk after noticing the dates XD

as for ECU's forgetting keys.. Ive never come across a single one.. UNLESS somone breaks the Pats Vial within the key and damages the RFID

LOL yeah I think I have alot of Pats/Gem transponder keys and these aren't ALL of them there just the majority of the spares for my Cars

·
Registered
425 Posts
My car came with only 1 key when I bought it in 07, so I had two more made -- and I keep one at my work and one at home.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
:) I have 3 per Car now.. 1 thats on the person who drives it the most (Key #3) one thats on me at all times (Key #2) and one locked in my office safe (Key #1)

I only have 1 car errr well technically its doesn't belong to the car anymore cuz I swapped out the ECU and cylinders.. but my project wagon only came with a single key

1 - 12 of 12 Posts