Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Denver and park outside and leave the house at about 645 am...usually between 10-40 degrees. I let the car "warm up" for about 5 mintues at least before I leave, and it doesnt get warm. The heat does not blow until ive been driving for like 20 minutes and thats only sometimes. What could this be? I need to change my O2 sensor behind the cat but that wouldnt cause this would it? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
it could be a stuck open thermostat. i have been having the same problem with my car. does the temp gauge stop moving like a quarter way up?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Replace the Thermostat mine did the same as yours, I was waiting on a Tstat I ordered but mails late and then my accident, my new fofo warms up QUICK

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
you want to know how to warm up the car faster???

this was on my 93 camry..

my raditor was so bad with antifreeze, all over it i mean, and it just stuck there that the car would warm up in mins litterly. and while driving (summer) i would have to blast the heat to keep the temp down, ahahah....

so block ur raditor..... not safe but it works ... haahhaah

some personal stories i otta share, but don't do this!!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
takes time for mine too...but my gauge goes to halfway, like always.

what is this cold weather package??

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> my gauge goes to halfway, like always.

You can't rust the gauge, as once it gets into a range, it will always point the same "normal" place, i.e., the temperature gauge doesn't really work over it's full range. They call it a "normalized" gauge,

The reason for it is that nowadays the majority of people that drive cars do not understand that variations in engine temperature are normal, so they bring new cars back and complain it is defective when the gauge reads anything above or below vertical. The "normalized" temperature gauges fix this issue for the auto manufacturers, which is why they've done it.

So if the needle should really be at 1/3 or 2/3, running a bit cold or hot, you won't see it on the gauge.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
so, what....u think my tstat is bad now? any idea how much it costs to get that done at the dealer? i am gonna have my oil changed, fuel filter, and now maybe this lol. if its not a million dollars. i dont even know where it is on the ST.

·
Registered
262 Posts
turn the heat and blower motor completly OFF when ur warming the car up. it takes alot less time to warm up. then itll be nice and toasty when u turn it on.

and if it a problem...and takes 20 minutes to reach 'normal' then the themostat is stuck open...but it would mean it never really gets to normal operating temperature.

and the thermostat should be on the right side of the engine under that solid looking block where the radiator hoses meet the motor. and where the heater core lines split from the engine to go to the heater core.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
doesnt seem to get really hot anymore either....used to be that i had to turn the heat down to near the blue lines, and the fan to 1 just to bear it...now...its up to max, and on level 3!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as suggested i do drive for about 10 to 15 minutes before i even turn on the heat at all...and it still doesnt work...guess i need a new tstat

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Have you tried the block heater (if you have one)?

Even at -20°F (and colder), I've got decent heat within 3-5 minutes.
^^^That's without the block heater, as there's no where to plug it in once I'm at work.

Definitely sounds like thermostat time.
And...I'm glad to see you made it back to your thread!
I was wondering where you went. [;)]

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
wd40, how do we know if we have that? im in the cold climate, so thats something i wonder about.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You only have it if your vehicle was delivered in one of the ten "Cold" States (Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, etc), or if it was added afterwards by the dealer or someone else. If you bought your vehicle new and still have the window sticker, it will list the engine block in the options list.

The power cord for the heater is around the battery area so you can also look for it there.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
hmm, i must not have it then. id thnk MA would be a cold state lol. thats ok...i will go and see about the tstat. i have warranty coverage anyways. but im gonna do it in about 3500 miles. maybe. i dunno, maybe ill have it checked this wkd. a bad tstat is not good.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, i cant find any block heater plug at all.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Idling after start will not bring the temp up very fast. I can idle 10 minutes and get nothing, but I drive 1/4 mile under load and the temp reading is up. also, push the3 button that recircs the inside heat, rather than trying to warm outside ambient air.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, but when u do that, u cant have it on defrost for the windshield. that doesnt help when ur starting out, and its fogging up.

i had my tstat checked today, everything came out okay. had them check for updates too.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
i put a thermostat in my car today and it still does not heat up. the gauge only moves like 1/4 the way. is there something else i should replace. i was thinking the temp sensor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts