Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow focus lovers I want to start by saying if this is in the wrong place then please let me know i don't want to step on any toes.

Ok now for the questions.
I don't mind finding parts or reading up on things but I really have no clue. I am looking to turbo my 2006 ford focus zx-3 2.0 with the 5 speed and my goal is a street friendly 400whp with weekend racing i love time attacks. but i dont know what to start with and what needs done first or if this is possible without a rebuild i cant do that right now. my plane was a stage 4 clutch some suspension mods and a borla exhaust with a focus sport stage 2 turbo and thats as far as I got. please don't be like the supra guys were when I wanted a 400whp supra and tell me im retarded or inexperienced I have drove a 700hp gt500 many times and i know how to be responsible. I just need some direction. thanks for any help

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
nice man i think that would be swete i want lots of horsepower too i want a show n go car so ima be checking back to this one

·
Registered
210 Posts
You need an electric supercharger off ebay.....I kid, but really I hate to tell you but that is pretty unrealistic with out building the motor there are one or two foci on here that are touching the 400whp area and its no walk in the park. With that said you are on the right track with a mild turbo set up on stock internals you can have some fun, suspension work is a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Four Hundred is a very large amount of power for our cars. Not just in terms of the engine, but with our weight as well. Traction I'm assuming would be a huge factor in how much "Street-friendly" power we could effectively put down.

My advice is to look into the FocusSport Kit, Then go for some suspension mods as svtautox stated. That should give you a good starting point, and help you decide if you really need more power.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
what kind of time attack on what kind of track?

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears will be completely useless with that kind of power.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
lol start out in 3rd and by the end it might be worth something

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
fully built motor, a lot bigger turbo kit than the fs stage 2, return fuel system, and a lot more knowledge of a focus. just do some searching on here for a while. read and take in all you can. 400whp is big goal but very possible if you have the money, knowledge, and time.

btw you will need some very good tires and a lsd or you wont do any thing but spin, lol.

tim

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
u will need.................................

.................................... 8,000 bucks!

And thats on the Conservative side!!!

obviously you will need a very good turbo kit. aftermarket pistons/rods as I'm pretty sure the dura can't hold that!! stage 4 clutch, LSD, lightweight flywheel, custom tuning via TOM (or any other reputable company like McNews) return fuel system. colder plugs gapped appropriately, better wires (don't know what stock can take). Prolbably a FR IM as I don't think the stock one can handle that kind of boost, 3 inch exhaust, turbo cams, upgraded valve body. Some good head work (P&P) monitoring equipment like guages. Throttle body. Return style fuel system setup, 100 + octane, etc!! can be done on 93, but much safer on racing fuel. Those I think are the major things. I know there is alot more.

so unless ur making 100k a year (or at least more than the broke college student that I am lol) its gonna be expensive!!

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
im a broke college student.. or i was when i did my build [neener]

it took over 2 years and my car was paid off before i "finished" but it did happen... sort of. would have made 400whp with a better turbo.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Ah, the wonders of financial aid [;)]

but ya, $8000 that is accurate.

thats why im asking what kind of racing, because the normal stg 2 kit will be fine for just about anything but drag.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
[shhh] [rofl]

but yeah i think traction would be way to big of a problem for any thing like autocross.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Just some friendly advice; make sure that 250 HP might not just do the job, for what you want...Much easier goal to achieve with half the money, and it can always be built up for more power at a later date.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow well I am a broke student and i love cornering but i do some drag racing also and i know it wont compete with the gt500 i have drove but my buddy has my old mk3 supra and i did all the work and now he kicks my a** with it because i needed money and my other main competion is a mazda 3 speed and a cobalt ss I hate losing everytime due to lack of power and they only drag I would kill at a time attack or autocross and the course i go to is a parking lot with cones most of the time. I would love to do all this but school is much more important. so what should i invest in after more reading i am thinking a turbo kit a clutch short throw seats rims and tires coilovers and new seats (mine broke from sliding in it [hihi] ) thanks for not being rude though that was nice supra guys can be jerks now what are some good bang for the buck parts..... O and will the turbo kit remove the limiter I assume so since it has the sct but you know what they say about assuming [boxface]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Well I am going to be honest with you the Focus is not a drag car. So if you want to beat them, start over and buy a mustang with a 3V modular.

Even the best of the best around here rarely break 11's most only ever get into low 12's, and those are not daily driver cars by any means.

And a last note, you should mod your car for you not for someone else. If you think this will make your friends appreciate you more then you need new friends...

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Now autocross is a different story, once I get some more experience I will be shooting for top 15 raw times which is great in a club where everyone is on R compound tires and has a billlion years' experience and a dedicated sports car... And then theres my little daily driver focus wagon pulling AMAZING times for an econobox.

If autocross is what you want then you are looking in the right place. But you should hone your driving skills before you mod. Street Modified PAX is a doosie!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok first of all i am doing this for me not for them but whats the point of doing anything without comp. Thats just makes you stupid if you only mod your car to do it plus the point of moding is to make what you got better if I wanted a mustang i would have bought one. You can be the best driver ever you just aint gona beat my friends with this car i asked for help not for people telling me to give up and I have reached the end of what my car can do stock so i am looking to improve it for what i can do. I mainly want to beat them because there parents bought there cars and I did 75% of the work for them or in the case of tice with my supra all of it and it would be nice for skill to beat money once. so don't tell me to change cars because this is what I bought and this is what i want to use its a good fit for me. If I wanted the advice to buy a different car i would of asked a supra forum or a mustang forum how to mod my focus they could and would give that advice I don't mean to sound rude but I don't like being talked down to when I work so hard for what I got I mean with full time school (OSU baby GO BUCKS) and working like 38 hours a week with only weekends off and only getting paid $7.15 an hour for the last 2 years. I already had to give up my first pride and joy my 1998 wrangler on 33's and then my 1989 supra That I replaced the moter and trans in so please don't start with telling me I have the wrong reasons ................. and sorry but i needed to vent after that

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ok i guess i came off a little strong.

But that is reality... a 12 second mustang takes what, intake and exhaust? a 50 shot?

12 second focus takes about $6000-8000 and at least 3 months to build. So if that is what you want to do then go for it, but these are the facts: The Focus is an autocross car not a drag car. Take them to autox and you will whoop them up and down till they run back home to daddy asking for more mod money. Take them to the drags and you will be spending a lot of time and money. It is possible to beat them in drags and No I did not intend to tell you to give up on it...but I see how it came out that way. I wanted to let you know things would be a LOT easier if you start with a better drag platform if all you want to do is beat them.

and by the way, youre not the only one working hard and going to school and modding a car [;)] That is about 30-40% of people on this forum lol

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
My suggestion to you, would be to find someone in your area that has a 200+ hp focus... See how that tastes in your mouth lol... If you like it, make that your (current) goal. If you get tired of 200+ just keep on truckin. GL my goal is 225-240ish :D

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
There are a few of us in Ohio that have turbo/supercharger Focuses, you need to hook up with one of us and see how much 250-350whp really feels like.

You can easily over power the focus and it will hurt you in a time attack... but its extrememly fun out on the open road.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Striaght Line Racing FTL.... AUTOX FTW... Takes more talent and is a longer rush...

I wouldnt be to conserned with beating others in a striaght Line with a Focus. It would be sweet to have a 400HP focus but thats alot of time and money for a car that will just burn tires... Get your self A nice Streetable setup.. Something that wont give you tons of issues..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts