Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to try and do this myself since when i called around they said 3 hours labor + parts im getting to the point i just dont trust most shops anymore. So rather than risk it i wanted to do it myself.

I thought ide remove the front cross member so i could get alot of the tight stuff out of the way and make it a little easier but i know its more work.

My question is do i need to remove the headlights?

Does the front cross member come apart in 2 halfs?

Can i remove just the top section of the front cross member?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
That's a pretty crazy way to go about doing it. You would spend close to those 3 hours removing the cross member. In that picture it looks like it is welded together. You will have to remove the headlights, grill, plastic shroud on the top, and the front bumper cover, disconnect the hood latch, and possibly more that i can not think of right now.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a pretty crazy way to go about doing it. You would spend close to those 3 hours removing the cross member. In that picture it looks like it is welded together. You will have to remove the headlights, grill, plastic shroud on the top, and the front bumper cover, disconnect the hood latch, and possibly more that i can not think of right now.
Its crazy? i thought i read thats how others had to do it to get at the bottom bolts.

Like i said i called around and they said 3 hours of labor so how would they be doing it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's true. Changing a PCV valve on a Focus is a PITA. I thought that my regular mechanic was pulling a fast one on me when he said $275.00-ish. After some research I found out it was true and the best remedy/fix was to get 11 inch needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend. Do a search for PCV valve on this site and it'll pop up. I wonder why Ford made this such a difficult change over?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
you could do that, but just dropping the fans will give you enough room to pull the manifold. Theres a tab on each side, pull and lift it our of the holders, then drop it down and disconnect any plugs you see. I had my stock one out in about 1.5hrs taking my time, Im sure I couldve had it out and back in in under 3 if I was reinstalling the stock mani

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could do that, but just dropping the fans will give you enough room to pull the manifold. Theres a tab on each side, pull and lift it our of the holders, then drop it down and disconnect any plugs you see. I had my stock one out in about 1.5hrs taking my time, Im sure I couldve had it out and back in in under 3 if I was reinstalling the stock mani
Cool, that sounds easier. So you have removed it on yours before?

What about the power steering pump? does it need to come off? I didnt really want to have to remove the PS pump or the coolant pump if i didnt have to.

I thought ide do that mod to it like Tom said that way ill never have to worry about it again. Block off the intake and then just let the PCV drip out the bottom and be done with it.

I thought about painting my intake as well since i had it off. Take my time and then put it all back together the next day.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Power steering pump doesn't have to come off. I removed the whole front end as you describe when I recently did my PCV valve and hose but that was because I wanted to accomplish some other things while I was in there as well. If just doing the PCV remove the fans as BB said and you should have enough room to access all the IM bolts.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Like above, PS doesnt need to come off. See if you can find a set of instructions posted somewhere for the cossie IM, they tell you exactly how to take the old one off

good idea on taking your time, a good cleaning and paint will help and be pretty unique

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like above, PS doesnt need to come off. See if you can find a set of instructions posted somewhere for the cossie IM, they tell you exactly how to take the old one off

good idea on taking your time, a good cleaning and paint will help and be pretty unique
Cool that helps alot.

Putting on the cossie or knock off one would be cool but i dont really like the way they look to be honest. They look to big and it looks crammed in there IMO. The whole engine looks crammed to begin with but the stock IM looks like it fits much better it just looks cheap being plastic.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know how this comes out? im not evern really sure what it is but i cant get it out so i can pull the IM away from the head.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Anyone know how this comes out? im not evern really sure what it is but i cant get it out so i can pull the IM away from the head.

I had trouble with this too, almost broke it [giggle]

Its a little fuzzy now but does that pull out a little bit? pull up on that hose and use a small screwdriver to move the red plastic bit (youll see a little triangle if you look close enough). The red bit is a lock of sorts and just needs to be moved

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yup. I squeezed the red part lightly with some needle nose pliers and it came up. Its the line for the brake booster BTW.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i couldnt get it off so i wound up cutting the ling that goes to it so now its just a tad shorter.

Some one in another thread said to use an air compressor and blow out the engine bay before doing this. oops i didnt listen to him

yuk

I got it off but its not bad. The hose looks fine and the PCV also seems to be working. Im going to still mod it like Tom said blocking off the intake and then venting the PCV down that way ill never have to worry about this again.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also i didnt realize when i was removing the intake bolts that there is 10 total.

question is i have 2 shorter then the other 8 where do the shorter ones go?[???:)]

I dropped one and it fell down into this lost in space cavity by the compressor. The one on the corner by the power steering pump fell and managed to work its way down in a place i had to use a magnet and pull chain to fish it out. I couldnt believe it.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I always drop bolts lol. Usually its right when I think "oh man, id hate to drop this"

sorry, dont remember which bolt goes where.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In order for the setup your talking about to work properly you will have to gut the PCV valve itself.
Yeah i did that, so it just drops right out.

Are you turbocharging?
no, i dont think ill mess with all that. Will it not run this way if im not turbocharging?

I am thinking about a cam in a few months though.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

well, i had a full days work. Time for a little shut eye then i get to put it all back together.

I found some "steel" model paint. I figured since it was plastic it might help it stick a little better. I taped off all the inputs and then shot some clear over it. I hope i can get it all back together without scratching it all to hell.

It looks a little weird now, i hope it looks better on the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts