Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my car is a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5.

I picked up a pair of HID headlights for my car (see attachment), and I thought that I could just take the car to my mechanic and get them put in, but I was wrong. Now I'm told: "you need a kit", "you need pigtails", "you will need a ballast and igniter", and "you will need to buy all the internals" etc. etc.....

I don't really want to hear all that since I am not a mechanic and don't plan on trying to do this myself. All of that sounds greek to me. So I'm wondering if any of you FF experts *on the island* can do this?? (even better if you are in Honolulu)

I'm willing to pay for all the additional parts (or kit) it needs and for the labor to do this. (FYI, the lights are DOT approved so they should pass the safety inspection.) I just can't do this myself and nor do I want to try.

I'd prefer someone who is a expert with mods/mechanics to do this. Someone with experience. If you've never installed a kit before please don't reply. or if you can't do this yourself, at least recommend some shop that can.

Mahalo! [thumb]

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but once again, I'm not a mechanic. I'll buy all that if there is someone local to Oahu who says they CAN DO IT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try taking your car to A Plus Auto Sound in Waipahu (phone: 808-260-9760), 94-356C Waipahu Depot Road, Waipahu. Great guys and they do some awesome work. I'm sure they can help you get those lights installed.

***BEFORE you buy any extra parts, take your car there and have them look at it. There's a guy named Tino that does HID and LED lighting for cars and I'm sure he has the extra parts (ie - ballasts, bulbs, etc).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah knowing how much places like to pay for labor, its best to find a friend or research the hell out of it before doing it. I did DRLs for my MK3 about a week ago and Im a complete novice when it comes to wiring but I figured it out.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
I'm guessing you bought the Depo lights. I did the same, but I already had what I needed since I had euro headlights at one point in time and made adapters myself.

It will cost you more for them to install it because they won't know what needs to be done, and they will probably do a terrible job.

You will need Hella Gen3 ballasts iirc, and the plugs listed earlier. You need to take the 3 wires from the headlight (common, high, low) and the 3 wires from the grill turn signal (common, turn, park) and run those wires to the Hella black/purple plug. Jetta MKIVs have the same plug if you can get them at the yard. The extra wires in the headlight are for leveling motors which we never got this side of the pond anyways.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'd just go to hidp.com and explain your situation to those guys and you should get all set up. They might even have someone local to help you out!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
you don't need to pay anyone to do this, its quite and easy install to do. Do you have all the parts already?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts