Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 focus zx3 and i just bought a volant CAI W/ram air scoop and am now looking into a full exhaust replacement. i need ideas for headers, hi flow cat, and cat backs...i dont know what is the best combo to have or witch ones combined are the easiest installation...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe pacesetter headers into a high flow cat( dont know any good brands) into the magnaflow cat back 2.25? and any ideas how much that will cost?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
SVT header conversion is gonna give you the most gains over ANY header out there.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
svt header, ORP, hks cat-back

done and done.

expect to spend a pretty dime especially because you will ave to get a tune to delete the egr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SVT header conversion is gonna give you the most gains over ANY header out there.
i cant find anyone selling an svt conversion kit online...do you know a site that is selling them? and i am trying to not have to get a tune

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Don't waste your money on anything other than the svt header. I ran with it untuned for 6 months with no egr (valve and tube still on the car) and had zero problems. you can find them for sale here, usually for 100-150 bucks used. then you need a SVT cat (or custom pipe) and flex. the whole thing should cost you 300-400. not bad for 15-20 real horsepower.

You will be SO satisfied.

Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't waste your money on anything other than the svt header. I ran with it untuned for 6 months with no egr (valve and tube still on the car) and had zero problems. you can find them for sale here, usually for 100-150 bucks used. then you need a SVT cat (or custom pipe) and flex. the whole thing should cost you 300-400. not bad for 15-20 real horsepower.

You will be SO satisfied.

Matt
i would love to find the SVT headers and CAT for that price but i cant seem to find anyone selling them.. and i would still need a cat back exhaust kit right? and im not even sure what the EGR is. lol i know im a noob and how wouold i get it tuned if i wanted too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
basically all i know is that the EGR valve re uses fuel to keep the engine from getting to hot?

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation. It sends a small portion of exhaust air into the intake manifold to make sure all of the fuel is burned, since some unburned fuel can escape out the exhaust. Not a manditory system on the car, but good for emmissions and a little mileage. I am still averaging over 30 mpg without it, but you can always have the port welded onto an svt header by any reputable exhaust shop.

The header, cat and flex will take you about 1/3 of the way to the tailpipe, and an exhaust would certainly continue helping you gain hp. The cheapest route is www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com, decent quality and you pick what mufflers you want. 2.5" piping is generally accepted as being the best overall option.

A header will pop up for sale soon, it is worth waiting for.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok sweet so let me get this all straight...the svt header will get me the best gain but i will have to remove the egr and get it tuned for best results. and from there the cat bolts right onto the headers and the flex pipe would immidiatly follow the cat into the cat back exhaust and a 2.5 is best. i would aslo need to purchase the gaskets for the header to the ports, cat, and cat to flex pipe. and i would need to buy the extensions for the o2 sensors to reach the holes for them on the new cat..and i also read i would need a new dipstick?

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
not headers its header...just saying and yes the svt will get you the most hp for the buck and also if your looking for the best flow and dont care about how loud the car is go with either a 2.5" or 3" like i have also any good shop will custom fab a flange for the orp (off road pipe) from the HEADER...to the orp to the flex then to the exhaust the exhaust is all slide together and clamps to easy even for a noob also once the shop fabs some flanges its all bolt together to simple and as far as the egr jayracing.com sells a egr block off plate for 20$ so it gets rid of all the unnecessary tubing and other shit to make the bay look cluttered and dull

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Like i said, a tune is preferred but not necessary. However, the gains will only be more noticable once you do tune.

A 2.5" exhaust is best for 90% of focus owners.

Pics of my setup:

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
ok sweet so let me get this all straight...the svt header will get me the best gain but i will have to remove the egr and get it tuned for best results. and from there the cat bolts right onto the headers and the flex pipe would immidiatly follow the cat into the cat back exhaust and a 2.5 is best. i would aslo need to purchase the gaskets for the header to the ports, cat, and cat to flex pipe. and i would need to buy the extensions for the o2 sensors to reach the holes for them on the new cat..and i also read i would need a new dipstick?
Yes you need the SVT dip stick tube and I believe the power steering hardline that goes right above the header. If you don't want to delete EGR there was a kit with and EGR bung in the header but I pretty sure it discontinued so you would have to find i used. You could have a shop weld in a bung for the EGR though if you don't want to lose out on some MPG. Wont be much, probably only a couple miles less per gallon but some people think its worth it and it won't hurt performance at all.

Here is a good deal on a cat. You can still run ZETEC flex. http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MA1007

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The dipstick tube is under 15 bucks from ford IIRC. I didnt change the powersteering line. I wrapped the line and forced it out of the way.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so i will need to buy the dipstick and i will just get some heat wrap for the power steering line. and i can get the svt header, this cathttp://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/Prod...oductid=MA1007 and still use stock flex pipe, and then get a catback exhaust and i will get a 2.5(not worried about noise)does this sound right?(i will also get a tune after and get the egr in place, any idea how much that will cost?) also will i need to get something to make the o2 sensors fit in the new cat? also will i need a new flex pipe or will the stock one work with the svt cat?

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
A number of people leave the power steering line where it is and wrap it. You should also wrap the header to keep temps down. CFM also sells a flexible power steering kit that is longer and allows it to be rerouted out if site for a cleaner look.

Nice wrap job drostedrummer89. Still need to wrap mine b4 putting on car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts