Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem. I have a 2009 Focus SES, Coupe. Automatic transmisson. I do not want to go Turbo, mainly because I don't have 4-6 grand to drop all at once. Below is what I have for mods done to the engine. FSWERKS told me I am putting out around 25hp more than stock with these. I would like to gain another 15-20hp to be where I would like to see the car. It still feels too slow for me. My problem is, I dont know what else I can do to increases the horse power while still staying N/A. Any ideas for me? Is there anymore simple bolt-ons I can do?

CURRENT ENGINE MODS:

FSWERKS cool-flo intake
FSWERKS stealth exhaust system
FSWERKS 4-1 race header
FSWERKS SCT X3 Tune
Grounded throttle body

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pistons, cams, head work.
I don't think there are any other simple bolt-on's left to do so what benkap said^. I'm in the same position where ive exhausted all the bolt-on's and am planning on getting stg 2 crower cams next.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hmm I've been trying to to decide going N/A and or turbo but if I went N/A I would defenitaly wuld add a wet nitrous kit eqiupped in the back with automatic bottle opner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do they make any cams that will fit nicely in the 2009 2.0? And I was thinking a Nitrous kit, but don't really know anything about them. Or how much an install would be and damage it may do to my car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Go to the forced induction area and look at the sticky on nitrous kit, and the wet nitrous kit are probably the safest and "easiest" to instal but if you have a SINGLE doubt take it to a professional shouldn't be more then 175 for nitrous kit and a remote bottle opener to be installed, its the biggest bang for yur buck even if you do small shots 35 or 50 is way more then enought power.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Double post

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Yep your at the limit of lower cost easy bolt-on parts. If you really want to keep in NA then your next route would be 12-13:1 pistons, a Ranger 2.3L crank and rods, a re-ground cam (unless the aftermarket ones really do work for us), some port work and then a new custom tune to bring it all together. All those parts should set you back about $1000-1500 depending on how much work you can do yourself.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would buy the knock off IM from ebay u have to get it knotch tough and some nitrous kit that's were I am, next step for me is some custom cams and see if I can make a 2.3 head work in our 2 gen foci don't give up there some more thing to do ;)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Dont know how it would be with an auto, but the Cossie Intake Manifold makes the engine a beast in the upper RPMs. Once tuned, torque isnt hurt at all

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
What is a grounded throttle body? Ported? I installed a CFM throttle body on my Focus a while back and it helped a lot with my auto.

You could also look into come lightweight pullies. May free up a few more ponies.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Porting is the process of enlarging the intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder head, most often time to the size of a larger then factory intake and or header.
I agree with the underdrive pulleys, could free up a few HP.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I thought we couldn't use pullys since we use lifetime chains?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Your thinking of adjustable cam gears, which you could also try out. The under-drive pulleys are for your accessory drive components like your atl/ps/ac and so on. By reducing the size and or load of the front accessory drive you can free up a little power by not using it to power them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay yeah sorry about that, I definatly have to look into that but to answer your question there sother expensive small gains yu can do, but if you want real power and not have to tqake everything off that you havewould be a wet nitrous kit.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Or a manual trans swap. Its around 5-10 hp difference on the dyno from a manual to auto

·
Registered
318 Posts
Isn't that expensive?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Us the 08+ foci don't have an after throttle body and I heard that the pullies don't do to much

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 56 Posts