Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have just registered. Considering buying an older focus. 2007 or older, preferably. I don't much care for the 08-? models. I like the newer ones, but, being a cheap bastid, I will pass on them.

Here are my requirements:

manual trans. most of my driving is rural/hiway. I abhor small cars with autos. Just no damn fun.

minimum of 33mpg. Prefer something with at least hi 30s.

Hatchback/wagon. I am a field engineer. I carry a lot of tools/parts. I currently do this with my '09 Sonata, but, I would like to go to a hatch/wagon to make it easier to get at the stuff and I would also like to be able to carry my mountain bike, inside the car as well, preferably standing up, with the front tire off. Does anyone know if a med framed 29er mountain bike can stand up inside a wagon with the front wheel and seat off? A friend of mine says he can get his road bike to stand up, with the seat on, in his fit.

What are the "good" years?

What are "bad" years?

How about the different engines? T-belt vs chain?

Is there a thread that answers these questions?

On a side note, I put close to 500 miles on a 2014 SE 4 door today. Nice rig. Handles beatifully, goes pretty well, but that damn DSG tranny! It shifts nice, but, what the hell is with the shudder at launch? Is this typical? I would go crazy driving this thing in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
2000-2007 are mostly the same. 00-04 (MK1) had 2.0 zetecs and spi engines=timing belts. Some 03-04 cars had 2.3 duratecs. All 05-07 (MK1.5) had 2.0 or 2.3 duratecs=timing chains. A few differences between the two other than engine but they're mostly the same. Look around in the mk1 section. Alot of info.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
On a side note, I put close to 500 miles on a 2014 SE 4 door today. Nice rig. Handles beatifully, goes pretty well, but that damn DSG tranny! It shifts nice, but, what the hell is with the shudder at launch? Is this typical? I would go crazy driving this thing in stop and go traffic.
Thats what I found driving a few mk3's w/ the auto. I'd stick to a stick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts