Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an Owner's Manual so it may be a simple programming issue like the automatic door locks but my tailgate will not lock on the first try. I've tried the switch on the door and pushed the lock button twice on the remote and normally I can open my tailgate with the exterior button on the gate. Only after I open and close the tailgate a couple times does it actually lock.

Any suggestions? [dunno]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wait... You have a button on the outside of your wagon for the trunk to open? Which models got that as a feature as my 2002 SE does not? Mine just has the inside button and a key hole on the back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a wagon and it is NOT a programming issue
I cannot advise further except do not use WD-40 on any door latching mechanism
I've used PB Blaster Lube but no WD-40, why not?

Wait... You have a button on the outside of your wagon for the trunk to open? Which models got that as a feature as my 2002 SE does not? Mine just has the inside button and a key hole on the back.
Yep, got an electric release button just to the right of the tag near the tag light. Mine's an '04 SE.

Maybe it's a grounding problem and doesn't work til I slam the gate. Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe it's a grounding problem and doesn't work til I slam the gate. Anybody else have this issue?
Not sure if this is the same issue. 03 SE Wagon and the tailgate needs to be closed firmly (borderline slammed) in order to get it latched. Sometimes requires 3 or 4 tries.

Weird thing is that once it has latched, I have tried to replicate the problem and have not been able to. I reopen the tailgate using the "hidden button" and then it closes fine.

If I cycle the locks through a locking cycle with the remote and then open the tailgate with the remote the problem reappears.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
636 Posts
how do you guys, not know about this? this was a recall part...call Ford and ask them about it. I bought my wagon new so when the recall came out they called me to bring it in...call them up and see what they say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tailgate Latch Recall # 39762

how do you guys, not know about this? this was a recall part...call Ford and ask them about it. I bought my wagon new so when the recall came out they called me to bring it in...call them up and see what they say.
FM, thanks for the info. I bought mine used and before I did so I checked the Ford website for recalls and it said there were no recalls. I entered my VIN so I figured that they were telling it straight.

After your post, I did a more in-depth search and found:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/ford/focus/recalls/

Recall ID # 39762 - LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH

Recall Date:
FEB 01, 2005
Model Affected:
2003 Ford Focus
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES WITH FOUR OR FIVE DOORS AND ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, A BUILD-UP OF CORROSION AT THE PAWL PIVOT AREA OF THE REAR DOOR LATCH CAN CAUSE A BINDING CONDITION OF THE PAWL THAT MAY AFFECT PROPER ENGAGEMENT OF THE PAWL INTO THE CATCH. THE OCCUPANT MAY EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY OPENING OR CLOSING A REAR DOOR, AND EVENTUALLY THE REAR DOOR MAY NOT LATCH PROPERLY.
Consequences:
IF NOT LATCHED PROPERLY, THE DOOR MAY OPEN WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION. IF AN OCCUPANT FELL OUT OF THE VEHICLE, PERSONAL INJURIES COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL HAVE A LOWER ROCKER SEAL ADDED TO THE DOOR AND HAVE THE REAR DOOR LATCHES EVALUATED FREE OF CHARGE. A LATCH THAT PASSES THE EVALUATION WILL BE LUBRICATED TO PREVENT FUTURE CORROSION. A LATCH THAT DOES NOT PASS THE EVALUATION WILL BE REPLACED. IN ADDITION, A STICKER WILL BE AFFIXED TO THE REAR DOORS ADVISING THE OWNERS TO USE THE RECOMMENDED LUBRICANT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 9, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/ford/focus/recalls/#ixzz1dnNZdo8C

I will try to get to the Ford dealer and see what they say. How long do recalls last? This one is 6 yrs old.

So much for trusting the Ford site for recall information! [nono]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice information about the Ford Focus Wagon rear door latch recall. Well, I called the Ford Dealer and found NO recalls on my 2001 Focus Wagon - So I called the 1-800 number and was told that my FF Wagon rear latch / flip up rear door was REPAIRED during the recall in 2005 - I TRIED TO TELL FORD 1-800 - In fact I did tell the operator that my rear door on my Ford Focus STILL UNLOCKS / UNLATCHES and the instrument panel red light goes
on - WELL, FORD 1-800 SAID THEY ALREADY DID THE RECALL, AND THEY ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION HOW TO FIX AN INTERMITTENT REAR WAGON DOOR THAT WILL NOT STAY LOCKED ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts