Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SE Wagons came with DOHC engine starting in 2001 (I think) and 5 speeds were available.

Anyone know if that's right or what the right info is? I can't find anything I would consider reliable for information.

I think I might also take a wagon with a DOHC and a 5 speed, but I can't figure out when they became available in the configuation.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Well I know for a fact that they exist, but they are VERY hard to come by, I had to order mine and wait 6 weeks for it, I was trying to find a used one, almost impossible with a 5 speed. AS TO THE DATE, i KNOW THEY WERE AROUND IN 2002 , MINE IS A 2003, AS FAR AS i KNOW THEY WERE AVAILABLE FROM THE BEGINNING OF WAGON PRODUCTION, BUT i CAN'T HELP YOU ON THE EXACT DATE, THEY ARE FUN TO DRIVE, AS WELL AS BEING A GOOD HAULER OF STUFF..oops , just noticed the caps, sorry!, hit that button again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one not too far away, but $9,995 for a 2001 SE 5 speed wagon with 21,287 miles?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Make 'em an offer..They may be holding high if they know how hard they are to come by, also the wagons are a little more, ours was about 17 new, plus the milage is low so thats a plus..make 'em an offer you would like and see what happens. Good luck

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a DOHC ZTEC 2.0 and it's a 2000 I got it new from dealer. It took me 15 days but I got it for $12.500 brand new!

·
Registered
311 Posts
why would u buy it used & non-PZEV? Factory order it.

I'd seriously consider waiting and saving a bit longer, or taking a *slightly* larger loan, in order to get the new PZEV wagon. The engine is much more powerful, smoother, and quieter. The suspension has also been upgraded, and several other trouble spots have been ironed out.

I bargained hard and got my PZEV SE '04 wagon new, and fairly well loaded with auto transmission, for about $14K. With a 5-speed it would have been only about $13K new...

So if you're already hunting around the $9K or $10K used price point, think about whether it really makes sense to buy used and wind up with (a) a really inferior engine and (b) poorer reliability (Focus reliability has been improving each year, with the first really good overall statistics starting around '03.) and (c) less factory warranty coverage. Also, you can special-order your new wagon exactly the way you want it -- with your manual tranny and anything else. I factory-ordered mine and it took under 8 weeks to arrive, just as they'd estimated it would.

It's just a much better car with the new engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: why would u buy it used & non-PZEV? Factory order it.

Folkus said:
I'd seriously consider waiting and saving a bit longer, or taking a *slightly* larger loan, in order to get the new PZEV wagon. The engine is much more powerful, smoother, and quieter. The suspension has also been upgraded, and several other trouble spots have been ironed out.

I bargained hard and got my PZEV SE '04 wagon new, and fairly well loaded with auto transmission, for about $14K. With a 5-speed it would have been only about $13K new...

So if you're already hunting around the $9K or $10K used price point, think about whether it really makes sense to buy used and wind up with (a) a really inferior engine and (b) poorer reliability (Focus reliability has been improving each year, with the first really good overall statistics starting around '03.) and (c) less factory warranty coverage. Also, you can special-order your new wagon exactly the way you want it -- with your manual tranny and anything else. I factory-ordered mine and it took under 8 weeks to arrive, just as they'd estimated it would.

It's just a much better car with the new engine.
You gonna give me the cash to order a new car? Cause I don't have the moeny to buy new. That's why I'm going used. I don't have the luxury of buying new. I don't have the needed income to buy a new car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sure. I'll spot you the $3K difference. [:)] Seriously, I didn't mean to overextend you. You'd mentioned $10K used, and $13K new just didn't sound like a big difference especially when you consider the more favorable loan rates from Ford's new car financing, depreciation, repairs.... [:(] Hey good luck ... I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter which one you get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All
I rescently purchased a 2001 2.0 ZTech wagon with 5 speed for $8500Can. The car had only 84000Km on the clock and is in cherry condition. I do not know about your local avalability but there seem to be plenty avalable around here (Southern Ontario, Canada). That being said the 'value minded' Canadian consumers are far more likely to go with the 5 speed option to reduce price, thus the avalibility. Good luck with the search. It is worth the effort, the 5 speed if BY FAR the better choice.

Cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Folkus said:
Sure. I'll spot you the $3K difference. [:)] Seriously, I didn't mean to overextend you. You'd mentioned $10K used, and $13K new just didn't sound like a big difference especially when you consider the more favorable loan rates from Ford's new car financing, depreciation, repairs.... [:(] Hey good luck ... I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter which one you get.
I hear what you're saying, but what costs Joe Public $10,000 used costs me $8,000 or less because my Father can get into a used car autcion and buy a nice used car and not be required by law to warrenty anything. Used car mark up is much bigger than new, BTW. I'm told that for $7,000-$8,000 my Father can get me a loaded 2 year old Focus with 30,000ish miles on it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
wfitzpat said:
Hey All
I rescently purchased a 2001 2.0 ZTech wagon with 5 speed for $8500Can. The car had only 84000Km on the clock and is in cherry condition. I do not know about your local avalability but there seem to be plenty avalable around here (Southern Ontario, Canada). That being said the 'value minded' Canadian consumers are far more likely to go with the 5 speed option to reduce price, thus the avalibility. Good luck with the search. It is worth the effort, the 5 speed if BY FAR the better choice.

Cheers
Than I am so happy I got off the lease on my 2001 Focus St. Wagon SE, SPI. The buy option would have been $11104, taxes included. That's Canadian pesos.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
my mom has a 01 wagon with the DOHC. but shes got the ATX.

for that 10k asking price, you could get yourself into a new car. (but probably not the wagon if you had your heart set on that one) especially if you waited for the 05's to hit the showroom floor. they always seem to really discount the previous year models when the new ones come out.

i was planning on buying used but got such a great deal on a new 03 i just could not pass it up. the dealer was clearing out the 03s before the 04s hit the floor.

·
Registered
311 Posts
crazy_urn said:
for that 10k asking price, you could get yourself into a new car. (but probably not the wagon if you had your heart set on that one) especially if you waited for the 05's to hit the showroom floor. they always seem to really discount the previous year models when the new ones come out.
I agree, crazy_urn. Tjm, why do you need a wagon? I ask because for me, if it had come down to a choice between a loaded low-mileage 2.0 Wagon MTX for around $8K or a new stripped Focus 2.4 PZEV MTX hatchback for $8.5K (people are reporting they bought stripped '03's for around $8.5K thanks to "loss leader" newspaper ads, and I imagine your dad could get you that kind of price), there's just no way I could have passed up owning a PZEV!

The PZEV is fast -- like, SVT fast. While the earlier engines run like (very good) economy cars. How could I pass that opportunity by, at essentially the same price?

So I'd have bought the HB and rented a small pickup 5 or 6 times a year (and/or a rooftop carrier) for my occasional significant cargo hauling needs.

But "your mileage may vary", as the saying goes. Some people really need a wagon full time.

I also agree with you guys about getting the manual tranny on the 2.0, but the ATX PZEV is not like the 2.0 ATX. The PZEV auto is a joyful thing. Very sporty, very rewarding, very fast. I never would have thought I could enjoy an auto tranny on an "economy car" this much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SE Wagons came with DOHC engine starting in 2001 (I think) and 5 speeds were available.

Anyone know if that's right or what the right info is? I can't find anything I would consider reliable for information.

I think I might also take a wagon with a DOHC and a 5 speed, but I can't figure out when they became available in the configuation.
Well I know for a fact that they exist, but they are VERY hard to come by, I had to order mine and wait 6 weeks for it, I was trying to find a used one, almost impossible with a 5 speed. AS TO THE DATE, i KNOW THEY WERE AROUND IN 2002 , MINE IS A 2003, AS FAR AS i KNOW THEY WERE AVAILABLE FROM THE BEGINNING OF WAGON PRODUCTION, BUT i CAN'T HELP YOU ON THE EXACT DATE, THEY ARE FUN TO DRIVE, AS WELL AS BEING A GOOD HAULER OF STUFF..oops , just noticed the caps, sorry!, hit that button again.
I have one. But it just got hit and insurance will probably total it out. I’d rather sell it to one of you. It’s still mechanically perfect: everything works, no frame damage, drives great. It just needs junkyard parts: front bumper, headlights, hood, windshield, and airbags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have one. But it just got hit and insurance will probably total it out. I’d rather sell it to one of you. It’s still mechanically perfect: everything works, no frame damage, drives great. It just needs junkyard parts: front bumper, headlights, hood, windshield, and airbags.
To clear up any confusion, I HAVE ONE!
2001 SE wagon, 16v Zetec, 5-spd, 137k mi., San Diego original, all records except gas. Wrecked but easily fixable.
Last chance...Insurance is getting antsy. $2200 obo. (I used it for UberEats so it smells like a weird mix of pizza and curry...nothing that a good vacuum and some Febreeze can’t fix!) KBB is $2900, RRV (Realistic Replacement Value) is $3300.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts