Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I took on the project of lowering my 03 Wagon. I picked up Sachs struts/shocks and lowering springs from BAT. The front went pretty well with only the pinch bolt being a real PITA to get out. See my other thread for the Moog Camber plates that I didn't install.

Then came the rear. I also picked up the camber bolt kit. So the project was going well other than all the bolts being a real pain to get out. Then I thought, since this is certainly going to need an alignment and everything has been real tight I better check the toe in adjustment bolts. Needless to say they have become one with the bushings. So nothing I threw at this would break them free so out came the cutting wheel. So here I sit after a weekend of work with the car still on jackstands. Now the project has expanded to replacing the lower control arms and obviously the bolts. But I guess the alignment guy will have it easy once I get it all back together.

So I'm guessing these are dealer only but if anyone has a line on them otherwise post it up.

After the drop pics will come once it's back on the ground.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yup PM b16sir1991 or call up Hillbish Ford he will get you the control arms and bolts for cheap.

definitely a common problem, i didnt even try to get mine out, bought all the parts/bolts ahead of time and tried 2 times on one side before i pulled out the cutoff wheel lol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well if you can get a hold of mike.. which i think he came ill last week. i just ordered lca's for mine. the reg focus arms NOW come with reinforced sway bar mounts. You no longer need to get the svt's. and i payed a believe 50/each.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked the arms up today and they were $70 each at the local dealer. But the bolts are what bites you in the backside. This pushed the bill to $230 total.

So of course while I'm here lets do the rear brakes. So all I can say is dang this focus is expensive to work on. Rear drums were of course out of spec but the car has 140k. Not sure if they are the original but if so I suppose they did OK. But it was the rear seals that you go WHAT!!!. $23 each.

So I'll probably have close to $1k in this lower project. I guess I'm glad I'm adding the sweat equity.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ya those bolts are rough... that is where Mike really helps out. theyre really really cheap from him.

what seals are you talking about?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I have the luck of having done my ZTW in 2004 and everything was still free. They do get frozen, keep at it, its worth it. Great to see another ztw being worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what seals are you talking about?
The rear wheel seals. The drums I have coming have the bearings installed already and were $69.99 each but no mention of the seals. So I also ordered the seals. While I didn't canvas the area the two stores I did visit couldn't turn the drums with the bearings installed so I would of had to knock those out just to get them turned if they could have been turned. The bearing by themselves are also expensive so it looks like just buying the replacement drums may be the better alternative.

I hope to have everything back together tonight except for the brake drums which should be here tomorrow.

Having worked at an auto parts store in the past and now I work at an automotive supplier it is interesting to see the various prices that OEM's pay for things versus the regular Joe that stops in the parts store. It is pretty painful to see a bolt for $10 that you know Ford paid probably $.60 for originally.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
^^^ Yeah, the little stuff is the worst, too. But hey, thats capitalism and it actually works most of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whewwww! The deed is done. What a PITA. I actually was able to button everything up last night but the drivers rear drum was dragging really hard. I took it for a quick spin to see if things would loosen up but my luck kicked in and it was still really tight.

So tonight I picked up a hardware kit for good measures and tore back into this side. Basically it was pretty much hard stopped and it wasn't getting any smaller. I noticed that the parking brake lever didn't appear to be going all the way back. The cables were loose and not stuck. So I popped off the rubber boot at the brake handle and backed the small adjustment nut off a few turns. And that wrapped up the project. So I took it for a quick spin and nothing fell off so I guess that's a good sign. :)

It's dark so no pics soon. Plus I leave tomorrow for my daughthers weekend soccer tournament and it's dirty so three excuses. Depending on when I get back Sunday maybe then.

It's hard to get a good look in the dark but the front looks good. The car appears to still have a bit of a rake and the rear appears it could of used a bit more drop. I'll find a few good rough road, which won't be hard here in Detroit, to get it all seated to see how it settles in.

So hopefully next week I can get it aligned.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ya the rear takes a bit, mine was still high even after about 6 months but now it sits evenly.

congrats!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so here's the after picture.

·
Cursed
1,677 Posts
that is one good looking wagon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts