Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the GF slide into a guard rail with the first snow of the season here in October, Not too bad, but it dented the fender, and pushed the light into the grill a little.

So far I got a light, and I'll be going back shortly for the grill, but what can I do about banging that dent out? I already picked up the hammer, and I'm going to get the dye tomorrow, but is there a certain technique to doing this?

I know this type of work takes a skilled hand, but I really think I could do this, with the right info on how to work the dent out.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think?

And she bent the tie rod, but I easily replaced that in about 20 min, inner and outer to be safe.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O and should I use my heat gun when bending it back out? So the paint doesn't crack?

Amazingly the paint did not chip or crack or anything like that?

Ealry 2000 Ford focus SE wagon, 2.0l Zetec DOHC, auto.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Take the headlight out and it will give u access to the back of the fender to use a hammer and dolly. And it doesn't help when ur tires are almost bald

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yhup heat gun, hammer and dolly. She ok? Good thing it was too much damage.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the tire's are bald, I'm going to change them soon, but I think the focus are just not a good winter car, no matter how good of tire's I put on the zx3 last year, it still sucked for the most part.

But so when trying to pop that dent out, should I go hitting it right in the middle of the dent, or work my way in from the outside's?

And yea she was okay, lol, she was offering her yellow 03 zx3 to me, over this smallish dent. lol, I would take that any day, 2.3l duratec, 5 speed, lowered 1.5 inch, CAI, exhaust, 17 inch black rims, tint, grill work and I just got done putting FSWERKS flywheel and clutch kit in it.

But I'm a nice guy and told her this ain't bad enough for me to take your car.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Snow tires my friend. My ZX3 bombs through 12 inches of snow no problem with my Winterforces.

As for the dent.. can't help ya there.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the focus is a great winter car, and that is coming from me who lives in alaska. just gotta know how to handle that snow.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
snow tires with a good alignment will do wonders. any toe out in the rear makes the cars ass wiggle like a mofo in the slippery stuffs. Also as a general rule of thumb i tough myself is to slow way the hell down. I found out the hard way when you get in a hurry that slippery stuff plus excessive speed equals money out of pocket :-(

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I wouldn't even bother fixing it right now. Wait until the end of winter, in case it happens again

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I had high performance all season 15s before and they were alright but when I went with a dedicated snow last year 17" those are great!
Haven't had a problem yet except for the time where the snow was up to my undercarrige

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah tires make all the difference. All seasons are ok but put some snows on these guys and they are awesome. Even better if you have a stick

·
Uber sexy euro time
2,827 Posts
I wouldn't even bother fixing it right now. Wait until the end of winter, in case it happens again
Agreed. Even if you do attempt to fix it now with a hammer and dolly, you will never get it perfectly straight without using any kind of body filler. Using the heat gun will not guarantee keeping your paint from cracking. It will more then likely crack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts