Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 2001 ford focus wagon. It's from Illinois. It used to belong to Karl Truty, then I got it from Karl Dhooghe.

It's a 2001 5 speed zetec wagon.
What's done to it?
Massive camber arms
Massive toe arms
Massive rear disc swap
Massive mustang front brakes
Eibach rear sway bar
Red SVT Interior swap
Mondeo/contour shift base
European rear bumper with the rub strips shaved off
Massive front endlinks
Massive full size crank pulley with gates belt
Centerforce dual-friction clutch
Purple interior lighting
Street edition spoiler
White Street edition skirts
Koni front struts
ST suspensions rear shocks

The engine had a spun bearing, so the head was pulled off, along with the intake manifold.

I plan to put on:
Focus central shifter
Steeda HVAC knobs
H&R sport springs
H&R front sway bar
CFM Braided stainless clutch line
White valve cover
65MM focus central throttle body
White massive strut bar

My plan is to pull the engine out of my silver 03 wagon (RIP), remove the supercharger, and run it N/A until I can find a Powerworks kit to put on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures.

Reactions: DadMobile

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
I’ve been working for the past day and a half on the interior. I’ve cleaned out the interior, swapped in a charcoal dash, installed red SVT front seats, swapped in SVT Pedals, and swapped in black carpet.

Little did I know, all the interior lighting was swapped to purple.

Unfortunately, I snapped off the pushrod into the clutch master cylinder while installing the pedals. I ordered a LUK replacement off rockauto and am ordering a CFM clutch line tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: so I got the old engine out. It has a spun bearing on cylinder #2. Definitely getting saved so I can use it for a future project.

It has a centerforce clutch, which I’m planning to run.

I laid some paint on the engine bay. I’m going to toss some clearcoat on it after a few coats of paint in the next few days.

Lastly, the interior is mostly done. I got a new-to-me pioneer double din and got all my fusion/focus OEM ambient lightning installed.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Update: so I got the old engine out. It has a spun bearing on cylinder #2. Definitely getting saved so I can use it for a future project.
Out the top? With trans attached?
Did you have to remove the subframe?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out the top? With trans attached?
Did you have to remove the subframe?

Thanks
Paul
Yep. Out the top. Had to tilt it so the transmission was pointing downwards. Had someone operating the hoist, and me lifting a bit on the trans to get it out. The subframe is still In the car, and the axles are still in the hubs. I’ve Done this on every swap I’ve done so far, which is about 6 of them.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks - great info! So not a one-man job?

Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can do it with one person if the car is lower on stands than I have it. I just have it on a set of 12 ton jack stands so the crash bar is about stomach height. I put it up that high so I can get under it easily without having to squeeze myself under.

I usually have one if my friends or my little brother roll out the hoist while I lift on the engine. The other thing is that the core support, radiator, and other stuff is out so I have more clearance to pull it out.

I did it in my old wagon with the Jackson racing supercharger and the header on the car so there is plenty of room to do it this way.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
How much do you need to tilt it so the transmission clears? Would it be easier to first remove the drive axles?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The axles are removed and left in the car still attached to the hubs. And I have to tilt it down roughly 30 degrees to get it out. I normally just use the center of the chain from the hook points on the engine and it drops it down just right. Also, the power steering system and the air conditioning system was unbolted from the engine to keep it all sealed.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
And I have to tilt it down roughly 30 degrees to get it out. I normally just use the center of the chain from the hook points on the engine and it drops it down just right.
Is that from the offset weight of the trans?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep. I think my next investment will be a load leveler from harbor freight ($40) so it then becomes a 1 man job.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yep. I think my next investment will be a load leveler from harbor freight ($40) so it then becomes a 1 man job.

(y)

Thanks
Paul

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,094 Posts

I found to have better luck with chain.. load leveler didn't work all that well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We shall see. I had a strap tied to the perfect length that I can’t find. I did the same thing for Jeff’s hatch.

Was also considering making the crash bar bolt on, or trying to get a euro front and rear bolt on crash bar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a beautiful example of a first generation Focus. The wagon is hard to come by. They can move a lot of cargo, and the Zetec makes them a sleeper grocery getter. What shape are the body, undercarriage, and subframe in? Coming from Illinois, you may have some hidden rust under the rocker covers due to road salt. My 2001 Focus SE wagon is suffering from this due to Chicago winters and needs new rocker panels even though the rest of the car is in good shape. Are those rocker covers custom painted? I've only seen them in matte black. Good luck in all your efforts. It's a good car that deserves preservation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a beautiful example of a first generation Focus. The wagon is hard to come by. They can move a lot of cargo, and the Zetec makes them a sleeper grocery getter. What shape are the body, undercarriage, and subframe in? Coming from Illinois, you may have some hidden rust under the rocker covers due to road salt. My 2001 Focus SE wagon is suffering from this due to Chicago winters and needs new rocker panels even though the rest of the car is in good shape. Are those rocker covers custom painted? I've only seen them in matte black. Good luck in all your efforts. It's a good car that deserves preservation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Surprisingly, there is just some surface rust on the undercarriage. Nothing structural. The car only has 89,000 original miles. It was extremely well taken care of before I got it, and I plan to take care of it just as well.

The side skirts are early 00’/ 01’ street edition skirts that have been smoothed and color matched.

As of now, my plans have slightly changed with the car. I found a rusty car local to me that has a “built” engine. It has 10.6:1 compression supertech pistons, Eagle H beam rods, ARP head studs, CFM billet oil pump gears, stage 2 Crower cams, Fidanza flywheel, CFM throttle body, massive underdrive pulley set, Esslinger cam gears, and an ITG maxogen intake.

If I can pick up that car for the right price, I feel that this would drastically change how the car performs, as well as make it a blast to drive every day.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Was also considering making the crash bar bolt on, or trying to get a euro front and rear bolt on crash bar.
Ive seen that on the Euro Focus and it seems to make removing the engine/trans very easy. Have you actually modified a US Focus to do that?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not, but my friend jeff AKA “SPIInDisguise” made his removable, but with the US piece.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So sort of an update:

I picked up that zx3. It is extremely rusty, so I swapped my stock engine into it and the built motor is waiting to go in.

I had to redo most of the braking system, but I took the opportunity to
Upgrade to SVT front brakes.

The blue zx3 needed some love, but I decided to turn it into my daily driver. It drives fairly well for a car that has been sitting for 3 years. I just wish it wasn’t so loud.

Many of the “cool” parts off of it are getting robbed for the wagon, but it still has its fair share.

As of now, I’m on track to have the wagon ready to hit the road over the winter. The project has been somewhat put on hold due to college, but I’m still getting parts and accumulating them for the future.

I scored these local to me for $100.
IMG_6486.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts