17,490 Posts
Lemme guess...........it wasn't eight?

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA! You ordered them too?!

Indeed, 2 wired to a manilla, hand cut, computer printed tag with no actual Ford packaging.

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they weren't trying to convince me that these cost $23.51 each, I MIGHT be able to accept a typo or similar but really? These are the little tin clips that hold half the interior in this car.
If they all got stolen fromy car, and nothing else was damaged, the cost to replace would total the car!!!
Thing is, even on the web site, it is shown in a picture of 4. Not a single thing saying sold otherwise so I don't think I'm completely crazy at least.

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rumor is that it seems to Ford that $100.00 in clips is in fact reasonable cost to attach my sill plate.
I have ordered 2 other bags from 2 other sources, both actually listing them in the description as bags of 4. Each bag of 4 cost about $20.00.
Both in Ford packaging btw.
I can't wait to see what shows up next!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The rumor is that it seems to Ford that $100.00 in clips is in fact reasonable cost to attach my sill plate.
I have ordered 2 other bags from 2 other sources, both actually listing them in the description as bags of 4. Each bag of 4 cost about $20.00.
Both in Ford packaging btw.
I can't wait to see what shows up next!
I agree about Ford pricing - but its always been like that even 30 years ago. Yes you can find OEM Ford parts for less than Ford list price. Id source a clip like that from a junkyard if at all possible.

The point of my previous answer was that the Ford part number of an item represents ONE of that item - regardless of how it is packaged. W703895S407 is the part number of the clip - not the package of 4 clips. So when you order ONE W703895S407 you get ONE clip. It has always been this way.

Paul

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate you looking into it. I have a very difficult time with this idea. (if that's not crystal clear!) These clips are tiny. Pressed and stamped by a little machine by the trillion I'm guessing. If they says so.... At least I know right where I stand with Ford. Right along with the thousands of other Focus owners Ford screwed.

I was able to find the part W703895 with no hyphen as a singularly listed part. I'm not sure if it was a Ford diagram.
The new parts will be here soon or I will head to a salvage yard and buy a couple thousand for a penny.
I didn't realize a week's salary was in question here! Lol!

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They look close enough and are cheap enough to try if this next order is also a fail. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
I remember back in the mid '70s and AMC parts costing $8+ for what when ordered turned out to be a 10 cent sheet metal screw. I needed like 16 of them and ridiculous. It's how they afford the expensive dealerships. I've had to buy a snap ring at $13 before and it was a specialty one at exact thickness maybe 1 1/2" in diameter but needed it to finish repair on ATX and not about to disassemble several junkyard trans to get it.

Common clips are often why I buy hardware store substitute that often holds much more secure for pennies.

Want an eye opener; look up up a few models and the clear plastic covers for instrument clusters and even worse if they have any partitions molded in to have light filters for indicators, they can cost hundreds for a piece of plastic. I priced a Topaz one once at close to $150 a long time ago. Now they unitize that stuff to make you buy the entire cluster or whatever at what may be firesale prices comparatively. Still, way too high.

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMG_20210429_123900.jpg

I actually grew up in a salvage yard. My family's business about 1000 years ago.
Had I seen this disaster coming or the staggering finances involved, I would have just headed to a salvage yard first. I thought that since they are a pain to remove and are likely to bend, not the best option, used.
I did try a few parts stores first. They are far more convenient than traveling to local stealership. The didn't have anything close enough to try. In retrospect, I would try decking nails before spending $23.51 each on these things!

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got this today. Oddly timed too. Right before I got an opportunity to review my latest transaction at Ford...

$21.00 for a pack of 4. Not from a Ford parts dept so the price by itself means little... However, the packaging and particularly the part about it being a package of 4 and quantity 1.

You got caught Dave. Be a man.

IMG_20210501_153925.jpg
IMG_20210501_153913.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
351 Posts
Where exactly did you buy the clips in your first post pic? Ford dealers usually make you buy the minimum amount in the package which would be 4 in this case. Some on rare occasion will sell you only the amount you need out of the package like the 2 wired together that you got but that is usually only from a dealer that happened to have them in stock from an opened bag.
Also, was that for a whopping $23.51ea? If they pictured the bag of 4 then I would demand the other 6 individual clips with free shipping or a return and if they refuse the return then call your credit card company or bank and dispute the transaction.
I'm sure these clips are available from Dorman or another generic company in bulk especially if they're that common in the car.

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I purchased these online from a Ford dealer in MI online. Actual real Ford dealer. Agreed, what they did here was to use ford's name, part numbers, images and MY belief, faith that the part that I was buying was indeed, a Ford part. One that would come in a plastic bag containing 4 clips, just like the original Ford packaging said it does.
What they did was see a guy from the other side of the country was trying to buy a small part online. They figured they could screwe and duwe to the $9.00 shipping fee and a 20% restocking fee, either way, they had me. I'm curious to know know how many other people this dealer has screwed with this stunt??? I'm curious to know what Ford thinks about this dealer and their deceptive practices using the Ford name and parts, numbers...
These clips just got REAL expensive.. Huh Dave???
What about you Andy??? I'm pretty sure Ford is going to bee equally unimpressed when th a manager 'looking into this'. He looked at the actual bag that I have in my hands on ebay and then denied it was there. I was online too. Any questions of availability can be answered with a quick message to the people I HAVE THE RECEIPT from.

THEY GOT CAUGHT.

How exactly did it serve Ford or thee dealership to do this? To try and swindle me on the cost of a couple clips? I PROMISE I won't be buying the intake, gasket, valve cover gaskets, water pump, etc...
These are all jobs I am buying parts for NOW.
Once the kiddo learns how to drive in this thing and it's time for him to buy a car... Guess what it won't be... FORD!

Good job Andy and Dave!

How much did those clips cost?
Since Dave wasn't man enough to answer his phone OR to have manager Andy call me back, I called and spoke with Jim the SALES manager who was nice enough to explain the situation to Andy. Andy was nice enough to call mee back, deny seeing any of the 20 other eBay listing I could have bought from and claimed to only see 1 open bag for $13.00.

He then arranged for a return.

I CAN'T WAIT to see how the return goes now!
I'm waiting on yet another 'invisible to Andy' bag of clips. It appears to be a differently designed/printed bag of the same parts. I will post the pics of that bag as well.
Those and a tiny plastic clip in the right pillar that I managed to snap and this "weekend interior detail" will be just about done. Thanks Ford!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not really sure where all this outrage against Ford the manufacturer is coming from. You bought parts from an online dealer. Each dealer operates as it's own franchise and it's pretty common knowledge that all dealers whether it be Ford, Toyota, VW, etc all can and usually do charge full retail unless they are an online ONLY dealer. Everyone knows individual dealer reputations can vary from honest to scummy.
Your situation is no different than a retailer selling a pen where they come in a pack of two. Are you going to blame Paper Mate because the retailer you bought from sent you one instead of the two pack in the picture?
You bought it with a credit or bank card and you're covered. It's really not that big of a deal. Make sure they refund you in full with the shipping they charged you. If it were me I would have them send a return label so the return shipping is paid for by them but that's just me. If they refused then I would just call my bank and dispute it.

·
Registered
2006 ZX4 2.0 Automatic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If they weren't screwing their customers in the first place, none of this would be happening. I didn't try and hack their system and get things free or cheap. I bought and paid for a factory Ford part with a factory Ford part number. I did NOT buy or pay for "Dave' s not mentioned anywhere on the website, repackaged, half a Ford part". They are screwing Ford customers using Ford part numbers and parts.
If they want to sell 1/4 of part # W703895-S407, they need to MAKE THAT KNOWN!!!

The money is irrelevant at this point.

It's not OK to screw me. It's not OK to take advantage of someone because they are too far away to do anything about it. I don't appreciate it. Hence the "rage". They had ample time to fix it and instead acted like asses about it.
They set the tone here.
If you went to buy a cobra and you got to the dealer and found a 6banger with cobra wheels on it, how would you feel?
Using that same logic, it's a dealer modified cobra package.

·
Registered
351 Posts
They sold you a Ford part. They just didn't sell you the quantity that they advertised in the pic. If there was no disclosure that you would receive only one clip instead of the pack of 4 pictured then that seller indeed did screw you. It's not like this exact thing hasn't happened before. Make this transaction cost them $. If it costs them $ to sell parts this way then they won't try it in the future. By making them pay for a return label they LOSE $ on the transaction by having to pay for shipping both ways and eat it. Make them send you the prepaid shipping label or just call your bank and dispute. Make sure that you take a pic or screenshot of the page that they have the clips advertised on for proof. You'll probably be able to keep the clips at that point as the bank will almost always side with the buyer and they will just make the seller write it off.
Regardless, it's not "Ford's" fault. It's the dealer's fault. If you want to make it hurt them more then go on Yelp or call Ford's 800 and complain.
I'm principled like that too. No one screws me over or tries to without it costing them big. However, you have to know where to channel your anger and at who.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts