Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the post says i want MORE POWER!!!!! so im going from the stock 8v 90 HP motor to a higher output 16v 140HP motor--- and to the car- its a 1989 Volkswagen Fox, its blue and has some rust here and there but for the most part its solid---- has grey interior----- the main reason im building this car is because my first car was a 1990 VW fox and was totaled out my senior year by a bad driver who hit me in the side--- i had alot of plans with that car so im pushing those plans over to this car------ I bought the fox and the motorswap parts car for three hundred bucks-------- THE PARTS CAR-----1991 VW passat GL 16v that had body wiring problems---- so here are some pictures and i will be doing a play by play on what exactly is going down

The Project------>

Here is the stock motor

(not my actual car-too far into project for that)

Here is the parts car, she ran great before the swap

The clean motor

I have the 16v pulled from the passat and the motor out of the fox and switching stuff over-- the good thing is that the blocks are the same and alot of the original parts bolt onto the new block--- Ill be sure to keep a log on what im doing to it and be sure to get some actual pictures up to keep you guys interested-----
The kicker of this swap is that it has only been "successful" a handfull of times and is going to be kinda unique------ only one other swap that i know of in ohio :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good luck with the build! I used to have a '91 2 dr fox I sold - I wish I hadn't, I had envisioned doing a 16v swap from a golf or something....but no $ at the time (also my senior year)...yatta, yatta...I wish I had swapped something...but good luck, I'm looking forward to watching this one [thumb]
keep us posted!

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Stop showing us pics and get started already. :p I love how the engine bay is set up, I've not seen that before. Hope you don't run into as many problems as I did with my 6.2 to 5.7 swap.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to tell you the truth i was feeling like i wasn't getting any love-- but since your replys ill post everything i have done and tell me what you think

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the stock 8v lump out and got the engine bay cleaned up a bit--- wire wheeled a little bit of rust where a brake line and bracket were rubbing thru the paint and chip guarded the rest

here is the 16v out and ready for teardown--- there is alot im not showing like switching over the oil pan and pickup, modifying the alternator bracket, installing the fox flywheel and new clutch, swaping over motormounts and the pulleys on the motor-- the motors are basically the same block and all just a bigger head and intake and different tuning--- here the passat dropout is on the pallet

had no problems getting the motor in and transmission on and all the mounts hooked up---- here are several pictures of the mockup----- i painted the block and transmission black--- im powdercoating the valvecover and intake manifold both black with polished badges--- i know it looks like hell but--- this is a project on the cheap!!!!

yeah i know its not a focus but a fox was my first car.... RIP... and i have wanted to do this for some time and only having small amounts of money in this car it will truely be something anyone can do for under 1,200 dollars or so---- Tell me what you guys think?
[race] [ffrocks]

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
thats awesome man!
your making great progress my dream first project once i get out of college and have the fofo paid off is a old first or 2nd gen gti with a vr6 swap

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Very nice, you'll get all the love in the world lol

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Yeah no more digi-funk. Not only do you have better motor, but now you can tune it. The old 8v ecu's were a pain in the balls to tune. Good job.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot guys- working on wiring in the ecu now--- not all that hard only 15 or 20 wires--- everything else will all be fox wiring--- this is going to an ongoing project eventually turbo---- already have most of the turbo bits and pieces--- just saving up for a standalone (megasquirt)---- money really isn't an issue i have a good job but i have a wonderful girlfriend with my baby on the way and i have been getting everything my baby boy will need

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No NOT rear wheel drive--- front wheel drive--- longitudinally mounted motor into transaxle--- but it gets the job done :) more weight out over the front end

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Find me a rwd transmission and it will be done---- i dont know of any transmissions that will bolt up and be rwd----- anyone know of any? i have plenty of rearends to work with---

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no more updates so far--- I live in ohio and its been cold as of lately, its funny i work outside all day and cant seem to get a minute to work on my cars- having a exhaust manifold welded up currently, nothing special just a 4-1 --- finding time to do some coyote hunting though-

1 - 20 of 41 Posts