Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how long your stock clutch lasted. I'm debating on getting a Procharger before upgrading my clutch/flywheel.

Obviously it'll last longer when not under boost, but I'd like to put off a clutch/flywheel until next year if possible.

I'm just shy of 26k on the odometer and the stock clutch still grabs nice and firm and I don't have any noises or notice any slipping. I don't do much aggressive driving other than the occasional dash to merge on the highway... whatever I do, it's rarely from a stop.

Worst case scenario, I buy/install at a later date after I upgrade the tranny.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
I have my stock clutch and havent a bit of trouble and I have run mine pretty hard.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would imagine doing a clutch is much more work after installing a FI kit of any kind. if you have the time and funds, do em both at the same time. just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yeah....i'm with matthewsvt on this...if you can afford it...do both...from what i hear doin a clutch on our car is PITA...being an even bigger pain in the arse with also having to remove parts of a s/c......oh..and when you do the clutch....LSD!!!!! you won't regret that mod...nobody does!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been boosted for 15k miles or so. Stock clutch. I go to the track at LEAST once a week, most times twice a week. The stock clutch can no longer hold powershifts, and slips over 656700rpms under WOT. This is just with in the last 3k miles. Still holds find for DD, and for light racing.

I'm with the other guys though, if you can afford it, do it now. Even when the clutch was good, it didn't like powershifting too much. LSD too if your going to use slicks. I've never had a one wheel peel on the 1320, but sure as shit if you get WOT on a corner, you're gonna peg leg the shit out of it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
HA HA HA HA HA LOL, I just stumbled onto this thread and saw that same phrase and started laughing my ass off. Glad I stopped in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
lol, just something I always heard from my grandfather and father when I was young. Like I've said before, I've bean around racing my whole life. lol good times.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd definately get a Quaife if I planned on any tranny work.

I understand why I'd need an upgraded clutch, but what would need to be removed (when working on the tranny) if I put a supercharger on first?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts